ICC accepted in NZ?

Hobo the sailboat

Visit site
Hi All…

71 year old sailing on an ICC.

I include my age and experience so you’ll understand it’s a little later in the game to follow the RYA track.

First circumnavigation (1977-82)
With no certification at all.

2nd (1991-slowly ongoing back and forth)

Got an ICC 2 years ago, to save ongoing hassles with Greek and French authorities…
No further problems

Planning on a boat buying trip to NZ. Will register the ‘new to me’ boat on UK SSR.

Will the NZ authorities accept the ICC and allow me to leave to Oz. With new UK registration?
It’s been 44 years since I sailed into NZ and things have changed a lot.

I was in Oz 4 years ago and they have no issue!

Any thoughts from people who know?…greatly appreciated!

Thanks…

rotrax

Visit site
Once your boat is on the SSR you will not require any certificates AFAIK.

We kept a Hartley 32 in steel in Evans Bay Marina for 8 years. Put it on the SSR. Only sold it a year ago.

NZ registered boats have to have a serious safety survey before being allowed offshore.

A fellow Evans Bay clubmember had to spend 20,000 NZ Dollars on his boat before he could sail it to the Islands.

We had no issue with any NZ Sailing/Coastguard/SAR with our boat. As it was under the British flag and a leisure vessel, no interest at all.

If you join the NZ Coastguard they rescue you because you are a member. Otherwise it costs. Not very expensive to be a member, might be worth it until you get the boat sorted. They ALWAYS need sorting......................

Good Luck and good sailing. :)

Hobo the sailboat

Visit site
Thanks a lot for your input guys, apologies for the delay. No phone coverage where we’ve been anchored ( staying on a friends boat until the big trip)
Blue skies to you both!
Jack…