I wonder if anyone can identify this dinghy please

Ceejay

Visit site
I'm enquiring on behalf of a friend so haven't seen the boat myself yet. It's about 14 feet and dates from the early 1960's.
CJ

Robin

Visit site
It's not an OK.
The mast is stayed.
The aft deck has a slot for the rudder to be lowered through.
Try the CVDRA classic and vintage dinghy racing ass'n, or possibly post on
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8&title=dinghy-development

But I think there is something 'continental' about the shape of it?

That slot in the aft deck flummoxes me, but looking again I see rigging wires on the mast. The spray deflector on foredeck is reminiscent of a GP14 or Seafly, (but the hull shape is wrong for Seafly)., maybe even scorpion, but the\at slotted aft deck is an unknown to me. Maybe a foreigner or A one-off.
Tthat hull shape still reminds me of the OK I sailed , maybe somebody put a stayed rig on an OK hull and did something weird with that slot thingy.

Last edited:

PeterV

Visit site
Definitely not a Contender, OK or British Moth, very wrong shape for any of these. I'm not too familiar with old Snipes but that's where I would look. The slot in the aft deck shows that the rudder fits like a Drascombe from the top and I haven't seen that on a dinghy before. I'd also look at a Plymouth dolphin, they had a Snipe like hull.

chrishscorp

Visit site
That slot in the aft deck flummoxes me, but looking again I see rigging wires on the mast. The spray deflector on foredeck is reminiscent of a GP14 or Seafly, (but the hull shape is wrong for Seafly)., maybe even scorpion, but the\at slotted aft deck is an unknown to me. Maybe a foreigner or A one-off.
Tthat hull shape still reminds me of the OK I sailed , maybe somebody put a stayed rig on an OK hull and did something weird with that slot thingy.

Nope not a Scorpion.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Definitely not a Contender, OK or British Moth, very wrong shape for any of these. I'm not too familiar with old Snipes but that's where I would look. The slot in the aft deck shows that the rudder fits like a Drascombe from the top and I haven't seen that on a dinghy before. I'd also look at a Plymouth dolphin, they had a Snipe like hull.

Definitely not a Plymouth Dolphin, they were north of 17' and very big and heavy (think they were planked, not ply) and they did have a rudder trunk... BUT the transom was steeply rakes like a Snipe

Last edited:

DanTribe

Visit site
I've been digging deep into the sediment of my memory, it looks familiar.
Could it be a Wildcat? There used to be one in Burnham in my youth.

jwilson

Visit site
My first glance suggests a Streaker, a ply single hander.
But now think more like a Snipe but the aft deck slot may be a modification.

The aft deck slot is not a modification: it's how many (well quite a few) dinghies were built in the 1940s/50s. The slot is to drop in a flat steel or bronze rudder blade welded to a round rod as the pivot, with the tiller at the top.

Could be anything: the boat it reminds me of most is a local Weston-super-Mare one design class, of which only 3 were ever built. I sailed one briefly once. Hard chine ply, rudder arrangement as shown, designed to live afloat and dry out on mud. But could be almost anything else, except the suggestions already made, all of which had AFAIK transom-hung rudders.

MikeBz

Visit site
That does look very similar. Some info here (maybe this is where Dan got the picture from) says that that Wildcat did indeed have an inboard rudder.

There is another picture of one here - this one looks as though it has a transom hung rudder, but the thread on the forum does mention one (with a different number) being converted to that configuration.

Ceejay

Visit site
Thanks for all responses.
Wildcat does look a likely answer, will post on here when we get a positive ID.
CJ