I want one of these🙂

Supertramp

Visit site
Tony Fleming made some fantastic videos of cruising Europe including Iceland and North America in one of his own company designs similar to this. I recall that he (or his skipper) would slow down to 6 or 8 knots to eke out fuel on long passages. Might be a motor boat but I respect what a few people actually do with a boat like that.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I helped deliver a not entirely dissimilar boat (Nordhavn? about 50 foot?).

I thought it very good looking (for a mobo) - though I don't have the benefit of Wansworth's greater familiarity with such things.

It was more luxurious than any house or apartment I've ever lived in. It had three large computer screens under the panoramic 'bridge' windows (there was also a flybridge above) and more electronic kit and domestic appliances than you could shake a stick at. You could have fitted some of my boats in the saloon or 'bridge'. It would be fantastic to have such space, mod-cons and nice decor/finishes when one were in harbour.

It was, however, probably the least interesting boat to make passage in of all those I've ever sailed in. Even the owner described it as 'like watching TV'.

We proceeded at a rather modest pace as it was, I was told, significantly thirstier at speed (and we were going hundreds of miles).

The cost of filling the fuel tanks would buy a nice small sailing boat, and I would genuinely rather have one of those. It looked like you could go anywhere in it, but I don't think I'd want to.

(Not knocking those who have, or like, that sort of thing - each to his/her own - but I imagine that it would be easy to be tempted by something like that if one had the money, but the reality might be something of a let down for those who hadn't tried it.)

capnsensible

Visit site
I joined my first ship, HMS Gambia, in 1959 together with her entire complement of ratings.

She was dry-docked in Rosyth and a special train had been charterd to bring us ratings from Portsmouth.

As far as British Rail's signalmen were concerned, the train had no priority over anything and we were shunted into a siding evertime any other train needed to pass. The journey took an entire day and we were provided with nothing to eat except for the Royal Navy's infamous 'bag meal' comprising a hard-boiled egg, a cornish pasty, a cheese sandwich and an apple.

On arrival the train was shunted into the dockyard (presumably to prevent any of us escaping).

It was mid-winter and freezing cold (and I mean cold).

We then had to queue in the snow while hammocks and bedding were issued from a Chacon.

Some kind of barely edible meal was provided in a hut ashore.

Then we marched on board, to the usual accompaniment of petty officers shouting orders and abuse, to find our messsdecks.

Most of us had never slung a hammock before so there were chaotic scenes as we found out how to do it from the older hands.

There was no heating on board, except in the wardroom, so everyone was keen to turn in before hypothermia set in.

Being in dry-dock, we were not allowed to use the heads on board. Large buckets were set out in rows in the Reg Office Flat. The task of carrying the fragrant overflowing buckets ashore each morning to be emptied and cleaned was reserved for 'men-under-punishment'.

We endured several months of this hellish existence until, at last, the ship was commissioned, trials completed, and then it was off to the glorious Meditteranean! :cool:
You were lucky......

Wansworth

Visit site
Tony Fleming made some fantastic videos of cruising Europe including Iceland and North America in one of his own company designs similar to this. I recall that he (or his skipper) would slow down to 6 or 8 knots to eke out fuel on long passages. Might be a motor boat but I respect what a few people actually do with a boat like that.
Yes there is as much good seamanship in working a motor yacht asa sailing boat
I helped deliver a not entirely dissimilar boat (Nordhavn? about 50 foot?).

I thought it very good looking (for a mobo) - though I don't have the benefit of Wansworth's greater familiarity with such things.

It was more luxurious than any house or apartment I've ever lived in. It had three large computer screens under the panoramic 'bridge' windows (there was also a flybridge above) and more electronic kit and domestic appliances than you could shake a stick at. You could have fitted some of my boats in the saloon or 'bridge'. It would be fantastic to have such space, mod-cons and nice decor/finishes when one were in harbour.

It was, however, probably the least interesting boat to make passage in of all those I've ever sailed in. Even the owner described it as 'like watching TV'.

We proceeded at a rather modest pace as it was, I was told, significantly thirstier at speed (and we were going hundreds of miles).

The cost of filling the fuel tanks would buy a nice small sailing boat, and I would genuinely rather have one of those. It looked like you could go anywhere in it, but I don't think I'd want to.

(Not knocking those who have, or like, that sort of thing - each to his/her own - but I imagine that it would be easy to be tempted by something like that if one had the money, but the reality might be something of a let down for those who hadn't tried it.)
much enjoyment can be had from maneuvering a motor vessel and visiting places like theThames or the canal system in europe were the passing scenery distracts from the motoring,my limited experience in motor boats was in a trip from Yarmouth on the IOW to the Hamble on an Inchcape 50 mfv type,solid as a rock in harbour was decidedly rolly in only a solent sea with a force 5 up the chuff.

Poignard

Visit site
Yes there is as much good seamanship in working a motor yacht asa sailing boat

much enjoyment can be had from maneuvering a motor vessel and visiting places like theThames or the canal system in europe were the passing scenery distracts from the motoring,my limited experience in motor boats was in a trip from Yarmouth on the IOW to the Hamble on an Inchcape 50 mfv type,solid as a rock in harbour was decidedly rolly in only a solent sea with a force 5 up the chuff.
I once crewed for a friend who wanted to move his motor yacht from Ramsgate to Nieuport.

Apart from eating the delicious food his wife had prepared, and fixing an engine problem, it was a boring trip.

Point the thing in the right direction, engage the autopilot, then stare at the sea for hours.

Wansworth

Visit site
I once crewed for a friend who wanted to move his motor yacht from Ramsgate to Nieuport.

Apart from eating the delicious food his wife had prepared, and fixing an engine problem, it was a boring trip.

Point the thing in the right direction, engage the autopilot, then stare at the sea for hours.
My time on a coaster I never found boreing,pleanty of time to ponder and of course not bumping into things,then there was food to prepare the engine to be tended,duringthe night watch to stay awake coffee and buttered toast all while toodling along a 7 knots🙂

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
We have a mobo, but I've enjoyed sailing with friends on verious sailboats and motorsailors.

Still I like the mobo and have no plan to change. I do like the journey as much a getting to the destination, so most of the time I see no reason to go faster than hull speed.
Nice enough to have speed capacity if for any reason we'd like to get somewhere faster, though.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Interesting thread. There is a very busy American Trawler Forum, worth looking at.

Later today First Mate and I will be visiting "Sea Jac" in Chaffers Marina, Wellington Harbour. She is a 55 foot - IIRC - Trawler Yacht. Looking forward to seeing the vessel and meeting the owners who we met through the above forum.

I am known in our club as 'That Bastard who let my wife see his boat!'

The ruffty tuffty purist sailors might look down their noses at our fat, heavy and slow motorsailer but surprisingly few of their partners do.

Two fridges, a freezer, washing machine, large galley, walk round bed, 8KW Genset, large pilothouse with side by side helm seats, 900 litres of fuel giving a 1,000 NM's with engine alone. Plus lots of other benifits only a well designed boat has.

It works very well for us being travellers by water as opposed to sailing purists.

Horses for courses.

zoidberg

Visit site
All the above sounds like 'conspicuous consumption' to me.

Whereas in sailing circles, 'conspicuous consumption' is better indicated by the number of 70cl bottles dumped in the marina bins in the morning....