I want one of these🙂

Daydream believer

Visit site
Yes, I should have guessed. It is over a month since your last, "I want, but will never buy" session. :rolleyes:
Still gives us something to chat about, without the risk of being banned by the mods. :)
So tell us-- What is it about this abortion of an atrocity, that got your juices flowing? Or were you just bored now Viago has gone on holiday?

Wansworth

Visit site
Yes, I should have guessed. It is over a month since your last, "I want, but will never buy" session. :rolleyes:
Still gives us something to chat about, without the risk of being banned by the mods. :)
So tell us-- What is it about this abortion of an atrocity, that got your juices flowing? Or were you just bored now Viago has gone on holiday?
It hark back to my days on a dirty british coaster,the heft of the wheel the shippyness of it……..pure fantasy😂🙄 …….and discovery of Links🙂

Wansworth

Visit site
On joining my first ship a dredger running building shingle into Southampton I was vaguely worried that the captain was dressed in a jumper and jeans yelling at the cook to twist the t v Ariel ……it was Saturday afternoon in port

capnsensible

Visit site
On joining my first ship a dredger running building shingle into Southampton I was vaguely worried that the captain was dressed in a jumper and jeans yelling at the cook to twist the t v Ariel ……it was Saturday afternoon in port
I joined my first ship I Portsmouth. It was a Guided Missile Destroyer and I'm fairly certain the Captain didn't notice. :)

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It's rather a nice sort of trawler yacht not something that I would ever buy but I can see the appeal, it actually reminds me a little of an old dive boat that I used to dive off but considerably better appointed.

Poignard

Visit site
I joined my first ship I Portsmouth. It was a Guided Missile Destroyer and I'm fairly certain the Captain didn't notice. :)

I joined my first ship, HMS Gambia, in 1959 together with her entire complement of ratings.

She was dry-docked in Rosyth and a special train had been charterd to bring us ratings from Portsmouth.

As far as British Rail's signalmen were concerned, the train had no priority over anything and we were shunted into a siding evertime any other train needed to pass. The journey took an entire day and we were provided with nothing to eat except for the Royal Navy's infamous 'bag meal' comprising a hard-boiled egg, a cornish pasty, a cheese sandwich and an apple.

On arrival the train was shunted into the dockyard (presumably to prevent any of us escaping).

It was mid-winter and freezing cold (and I mean cold).

We then had to queue in the snow while hammocks and bedding were issued from a Chacon.

Some kind of barely edible meal was provided in a hut ashore.

Then we marched on board, to the usual accompaniment of petty officers shouting orders and abuse, to find our messsdecks.

Most of us had never slung a hammock before so there were chaotic scenes as we found out how to do it from the older hands.

There was no heating on board, except in the wardroom, so everyone was keen to turn in before hypothermia set in.

Being in dry-dock, we were not allowed to use the heads on board. Large buckets were set out in rows in the Reg Office Flat. The task of carrying the fragrant overflowing buckets ashore each morning to be emptied and cleaned was reserved for 'men-under-punishment'.

We endured several months of this hellish existence until, at last, the ship was commissioned, trials completed, and then it was off to the glorious Meditteranean! :cool:

Wansworth

Visit site
I joined my first ship, HMS Gambia, in 1959 together with her entire complement of ratings.

She was dry-docked in Rosyth and a special train had been charterd to bring us ratings from Portsmouth.

As far as British Rail's signalmen were concerned, the train had no priority over anything and we were shunted into a siding evertime any other train needed to pass. The journey took an entire day and we were provided with nothing to eat except for the Royal Navy's infamous 'bag meal' comprising a hard-boiled egg, a cornish pasty, a cheese sandwich and an apple.

On arrival the train was shunted into the dockyard (presumably to prevent any of us escaping).

It was mid-winter and freezing cold (and I mean cold).

We then had to queue in the snow while hammocks and bedding were issued from a Chacon.

Some kind of barely edible meal was provided in a hut ashore.

Then we marched on board, to the usual accompaniment of petty officers shouting orders and abuse, to find our messsdecks.

Most of us had never slung a hammock before so there were chaotic scenes as we found out how to do it from the older hands.

There was no heating on board, except in the wardroom, so everyone was keen to turn in before hypothermia set in.

Being in dry-dock, we were not allowed to use the heads on board. Large buckets were set out in rows in the Reg Office Flat. The task of carrying the fragrant overflowing buckets ashore each morning to be emptied and cleaned was reserved for 'men-under-punishment'.

We endured several months of this hellish existence until, at last, the ship was commissioned, trials completed, and then it was off to the glorious Meditteranean! :cool:
No wonder I never joined the RN😏