I thought the French were the safety conscious ones?!

Adios

Visit site
Silly me, because of this sort of micromanagement Sailing Licences and Boat Permits - France - Angloinfo I assumed the French had a great respect for the sea and methodically preserving life, big on training courses etc

And then I see this horror show / comedy gold and now I'm confused! Amazing stuff though. And there are loads more. No life jackets of course, and what's a kill cord? "6ft breakers? great my 4hp outboard should be suitable". Favourite bit was when one of them start bailing while the skipper was still overboard. It all seems so contrary to the heavy regulation they have though.

Last edited:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
If you really want to scare yourself watch some of the car crash videos on YouTube; everybody needs to pass a driving test, have a motor vehicle that is checked annually and have insurance.

D

Deleted member 36384

What should have the helmsman in the white motor boat do on the way in? The waves were not that big, a manageable entrance considering some of the bar crossing videos where the waves are much bigger and the bar is crossed successfully.

Adios

Visit site
What should have the helmsman in the white motor boat do on the way in? The waves were not that big, a manageable entrance considering some of the bar crossing videos where the waves are much bigger and the bar is crossed successfully.
He was lined up square to the waves at the beginning but as far as I can see his arms aren't moving much, might be wine induced slow reactions

I've been wondering what he could have done once he ends up literally surfing across the wave like a surfer. I think he's full throttle but unable to turn to starboard due to the force pushing on the port quarter. The wave doesn't look that big that he would certainly have been rolled if he'd tried to turn to port to try and get back over the wave but I image he would have felt that was likely at the time. But I wonder if he went full astern would the wave have then overtaken him and he'd drop down the back of the wave? Its the only option left to try.

My wife said I haven't laughed that hard in years when I saw it the first time. It was a big OOOOOOOOOO from me thinking he was going to surf into the pier and when they missed and ended up like they did, absolutely hilarious

prv

Visit site
Favourite bit was when one of them start bailing while the skipper was still overboard.

Mine was the guy with the boathook frantically looking around for the skipper in the water - he can't see him, and nor can we, until the boat swings around and we see him dangling from the stemhead :)

With the boat inshore of the breakers and the surfers around to help, I assume nobody ended up seriously hurt.

Pete

prv

Visit site
Re-watching the skipper-overboard moment, I've just realised that the engine stopped while they were beam-on to the waves - that's why he couldn't turn into the one that knocked them over. You can see one of the passengers pulling the cord, he quickly gets it going again, but too late to complete the turn.

Pete

Frogmogman

Visit site
The French are not the only ones who screw up, it happens everywhere when people are unprepared and inexperienced, however, it is good to watch and learn. Have a look on YouTube the cock-ups in Greece with the tourist sailors.
Quite so.

It is toe curling to watch, but as Capt. F observes, it is instructive.

This sort of thing happens the world over. I don’t really see why the OP felt the need to make it into a commentary about the traits of one particular Nationality.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
And then I see this horror show / comedy gold and now I'm confused! Amazing stuff though. And there are loads more. No life jackets of course, and what's a kill cord?
The chap who goes overboard has an automatic lifejacket on. But yes, what a mess. Anyone know how it turned out?

Frogmogman

Visit site
Re-watching the skipper-overboard moment, I've just realised that the engine stopped while they were beam-on to the waves - that's why he couldn't turn into the one that knocked them over. You can see one of the passengers pulling the cord, he quickly gets it going again, but too late to complete the turn.

Pete

Yes, I noticed that. Also, it’s clear he was not using a kill-switch lanyard, as once he goes overboard, the boat carries on motoring around in a circle. He was lucky not to be cut up by his own screw.

Adios

Visit site
This sort of thing happens the world over. I don’t really see why the OP felt the need to make it into a commentary about the traits of one particular Nationality.
Because I always assumed the french had this sorted and tied down. I've canoed on a couple of the massif central rivers and they are very regimented, off the river by a certain time to allow for fishing, not on too early for same reason, all neat and tidy with hiring boats etc Add that to the onerous regulation about what boat can go where on the sea, loads of permits and courses to complete. And then I see hardly anyone wears a life jacket and all the getting above their heads on this entrance, it seemed contrary to the image of french boating.

Adios

Visit site
The chap who goes overboard has an automatic lifejacket on. But yes, what a mess. Anyone know how it turned out?
Enough surfers turned up that it seems likely he was saved eventually. But 2 large adults couldn't pull him out mostly because one of them decided bailing was a more critical use of his time ?

Concerto

Visit site
Enough surfers turned up that it seems likely he was saved eventually. But 2 large adults couldn't pull him out mostly because one of them decided bailing was a more critical use of his time ?
Have you tried pulling a large man out of the water? I have and failed, even with 3 of us we still failed. He must have weighed about 17 or 18 stone plus wet clothing. Getting someone back onboard is extremely difficult. I had a boarding ladder, not a bathing ladder and he could not get any power from his legs to get out of the water. Had to get to a pontoon so he could use a ladder to get out of the water.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Silly me, because of this sort of micromanagement Sailing Licences and Boat Permits - France - Angloinfo I assumed the French had a great respect for the sea and methodically preserving life, big on training courses etc
From way back, British have thought that regulations were a problem when the French appeared not to be bothered. It's the depth of the observance that makes the difference. Do the French have an equivalent expression to "laisse faire"?