I know it's not April 1st..but

colvic

Visit site
I know it\'s not April 1st..but

Last year received a cheque from Insurance Co. in settlement of claim.

A few weeks later get a letter saying sorry we have not deducted excess will you refund it please.

As I'm abroad at this time with no cheque book I tell them to debit my credit card.

Many weeks later a letter catches up with me and I quote " ..it is confirmed that this has now ben done. However, our accounts dept have had to debit your card with XXX due to the charges incurred with creditcards. I regret that this has been necessary and hope this will be acceptable to you"

Is it aceptable?

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

wayneA

www.hitrapia.co.uk
Re: I know it\'s not April 1st..but

You didn't deduct an administration charge? ;-)
They would have done if the shoe was on the other foot!

Don't know how they get away with it.

Cheers

Wayne

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.</font size=1>

Rob_Webb

Visit site

I'd say not.

Presumably you agreed (reluctantly) to the initial debit for them to retrieve their excess? But you did not also agree to an extra charge to cover their admin costs?

So, in the first instance, I would categorise this as an unauthorised withdrawal - if you go back to them (direct to their Customer Services Director, by the way) you might get a refund this way.

Secondly, you could point out that as it was their mistake in the first place to fail to deduct your excess, you accepted their cheque as full and final settlement - the letter that accompanied this original cheque might even be worded accordingly. So you might even have had a strong case for not pating back this excess in the first istance. But being that you have, you should certainly try to recover the extra admin charge which is unfair and unauthorised.

If that fails, ask to be referred to complaints and mention the Ombudsman. The minute this happens, it will cost them £500 to simply adminster your case as yet another compliant. And the Directors will do everything possible to avoid increasing their count of compleuints cases referred to the Ombudsman, so this tack often yields dividends when it comes to recovering small amounts.

Good luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
Ombudsman - an empty threat

A reference to the Ombudsman is a life line to regulated businesses. It means going to the bottom of the Ombudsman's pile of complaints and means likely a 12 month breathing space in which they can get on with ripping off other consumers.

<hr width=100% size=1>A pontification from the Panjandrum of orotund bloviation AD2002

G

They can't do that. If they refuse to refund the admin charge, speak to your bank. They should sort it for you reasonably quickly.

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site

They have been sent a letter from VISA stating that they are not allowed to make a deduction off a credit card without the owners consent. No response so far, almost two weeks later.
!

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Re: Ombudsman - an empty threat

I have been officially informed that a complaint lodged last year will not reach conclusion until next year. As you say, what is the point.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>