I know I'm being dim but

claymore

Visit site
I've just got the AIS working on ma fine shup except for one detail and that is the length.
Claymore is 30ft long - which I always claim is 9m. (The boatyard claim it at 9.1 for the purposes of invoicing)
When I look at Shipfinder, I see we are down as being 18m long and a similarly exaggerated beam into the bargain.
How do I change it? - I've fiddled and faffed with everything I can lay my hands on but to no avail

Is there a child out there who can advise please?
Gratefully yours

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Without knowing what AIS unit you have it's a hard question to answer but the usual PC program is ProAIS to change the config via a serial port/usb.

Guessing you have it down as 9m in front of the antenna and 9m behind and the same with the beam.

Reactions: pvb

claymore

Visit site
Its a DigitalYacht 5000 unit talking to my laptop which has Time Zero installed as the nav. software.
It all works fine but for this one little glitch - I feel I'm missing something small but fundamental:rolleyes:

Daydream believer

Visit site
Well why not just put some smaller figures in & see what happens. ie change the length in front of the mast to 50% of what you had. Then see what you get. But first do it alongside a friends yacht & they can report what is being received by them. What other VESSELS see is far more important than what Ship Finder or Marine Traffic reports

claymore

Visit site
Well why not just put some smaller figures in & see what happens. ie change the length in front of the mast to 50% of what you had. Then see what you get. But first do it alongside a friends yacht & they can report what is being received by them. What other VESSELS see is far more important than what Ship Finder or Marine Traffic reports
OK - that sounds like a plan apart from it would have to be done in sunny weather as my 'friends' don't seem to like the wet....

Vicarage

Visit site
At one point our AIS was showing us as a "vessel of a nation not involved in armed conflict" which whilst technically correct felt a bit like overkill for a 38' yacht...

claymore

Visit site
Ah reckon ah'll just aim ma rockets at yer hoos if that happens.
How likely am I tae see they supertankers there? Ra Waverley wance gied me a fricht near Pladda.