I hope it's friendly

VicS

Visit site
In the Solent today

ruxyeq.jpg

Seajet

Visit site
I was told whenever a US Carrier is in ( anchored in the Solent ) the ' ladies of the night ' all bundle down from London to Portsmouth on what was known as ' Have It Away Day ' tickets :cool:

prv

Visit site
There was a brief mention on the radio news this morning. Apparently the crew wanted to "experience a real old English pub", which seemed a rather demure way of putting it even for American sailors :p

Pete

Skylark

Visit site
My “home waters” are The Clyde but I occasionally sail The Solent. The weekend before last QHM was flying the American flag but there was no obvious sign of a visiting military vessel. Why was the flag being flown?

On Tuesday morning a German military vessel entered Portsmouth harbour. Their PA system seemed to be playing either North Korean Gangnam or something from an 18 year old Essex Boy as he burns rubber along the strip on a Friday night out. Very loud. What military tradition is this?

As to a pub recomendation, we were very happy to have stumbled across The Bridge at Camber.

Seajet

Visit site
That doesn't sound very professional - I suppose ' Deutchland Uber Alles ' is non-pc then ? :)

No ship I was skipper of would play that Gangham crap, I'd sooner do a Graf Spee !

I imagine the American flag was a courtesy for the USS Harry S Truman.

If you walk into Old Portsmouth there are a couple more nice pubs, a bit more upmarket ' first date ' type than the Bridge, though it's quite alright.

Seajet

Visit site
No, they wouldn't be as I'd make them off to a buoy to save them the stresses before we went to warp speed :)

Anyone around the Eastern Solent on Saturday, we're sail no. 119

NormanB

Visit site
I was told whenever a US Carrier is in ( anchored in the Solent ) the ' ladies of the night ' all bundle down from London to Portsmouth on what was known as ' Have It Away Day ' tickets :cool:

I am surprised the ladies are so ill informed. Most of the US sailors head straight for London.