I have just installed my Eberspacher....

Laurence

Visit site
A Christmas present for the boat. I bought an Airtronic D4 from Kreugers in New Milton (very helpful people) with four outlets, saloon, fore and aft cabins and a 2 inch outlet into the heads. It comes with a seven day programmable timer which will turn the heating on half an hour before we get out of our pits. It took two days to install and I have still have to tidy up the electrics but the temptation to power up and luxuriate in the warmth as soon as it was in place was overwhelming.

Reason for this post? If any one wants advice or help for installing a heating system, drop me an email. I am now an expert.

claymore

Visit site
Hi Laurence
I moved away from buying one from a scrapped truck and am thinking of the D4 following this months YM article, I was going for 2 outlets, unit placed in central wheelhouse and then one vent into saloon and one into aft cabin - what made you go for 4 outlets?
regards
John S

Laurence

Visit site
Hello there John

The rationale for taking four outlets goes like this -

The D4 is man enough to run four outlets
The cost of the extra ducting and vents is minimal
A major part of the work it has to do is airing and ventilating the boat
As long as we were tearing the half the boat apart we might as well do it right
We are planning to cruise Norway (next year), Maine, Newfoundland, West Candian Coast and Alaska. When we take crew we must have the aft cabin heated
Our heads compartment is also our wet locker
Getting up in the morning from a warm bunk and going into a cold heads compartment can be a unique and excruciating torture
Lastly and most importantly Liz asked for it.

You can always close the outlets you are not using. My advice is to fit all four.

JerryHawkins

Visit site
Timer Problems

Have you tried setting the timer yet? I have recently installed a D2 in my 25' Fisher. It all works great unless you need to set a specific time on just one day!
The setting of the timer is quite peculiar but when you get used to it, it is fairly straight forward. Example: Try setting a single ON time with a single ON day (I tried 20:30 on a Wednesday evening). It doesn't come on. If you add extra ON days Friday, Saturday and Sunday, then it WILL come on on the Wednesday as you originally wanted! Eberspacher have confirmed a faulty batch of timers and sent me a replacement - it has the same fault! I'm waiting for a reply to my latest email on this one... Please try yours and let me know!

Cheers,

Jerry

claymore

Visit site
Thanks for that Laurence
Sounds completely rational and the right thing to do - as you say, easier to do it all at once than find you'd like to extend the system some time later
Regards
John

tomboy352

Visit site
Re: three outlets or four my Eberspacher....

We had a three outlet D3L ? but spend a lot of time aboard in winters, on occasions with crunchy white stuff on deck. On our 35 footer, it used to take 18 hours before the cabins reached the near tropical conditions which the XY demands. When time came to renew the unit, I fitted a 4 outlet 5KW Webasto. It made such an improvement in time and comfort levels , that the extra dinero was soon forgotten about. You can always turn it down if it is too warm . The new unit has a much lower start up current than the old one so it fires up readily from the batteries

G

I agree

We also fitted four outlets, fourth one in the heads as it is also our wetlocker. Having a shower in there when you have the heating on is just like being in a sauna, bliss!