I have enjoyed this forum………….

Status
Not open for further replies.

ari

Visit site
Polite to say 'bye when you leave and indicate the reason, also to mitigate speculation.

Agreed completely. For someone who has been here 15 years and has been (understandably) upset by having a thread pulled for what seems to be no reason (certainly the mods seem unwilling or unable to justify it), it's worth making the point and letting people know (who might otherwise assume the worst).

This is a relatively tight knit community as far as these online forums go with some good people who have been here a very long time and a huge amount of knowledge and experience (and an inevitable amount of misinformation and bluster, to be fair), so it's a shame for something like this to have happened. I think the mods need to do the right thing and either admit they made a mistake or tell us why they did it.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Yes, indeed the info quality varies. OTOH like the rest of the web it is an open board and those looking for opinions have to extract the value themselves.
And we still see lovely people who want to chat about stuff rather than refining seach skills on Google in an attempt to derive advice.

On facts or personal experience however this place still is very good. Can't say that about all web platforms, IMO.

Members in the league of Latestarter really, REALLY, are missed as resources for insight and knowledge. Fortunately many of their posts can still be found - if not by the integrated, feature limited search, then by Googeling for something and adding site:.forums.ybw.com to the seach argument.

latestarter cummins site:.forums.ybw.com

?

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
I think that the powers to be should not be allowed to punish you twice…so either pull your post/thread OR ban you/give you points

Portofino

Visit site
They probably dropped it in the dustbin of advertising.How ever subtle and unintended .

Its not unusual for mods on forums , even FB , PW Ed sites to delete posts / pages when it starts as a tangent of a sale , eg this one “ Brokerage %” which I thought was the topic or did I actually read “ I am selling my boat ……and looking at brokers % etc ? Or words to that effect .
Buy even without the “ I am selling my boat “ it’s pretty easy to put a 2+2 = 4 together .

Bouba

Visit site
Don’t forget it was over the issue of censorship that caused Elon Musk to put up 44 billion to buy Twitter (offer since withdrawn)

Bilgediver

Visit site
……….for over 15 years but am disappointed by the way monitors dictate what people can and can’t post and cast aspersions about a post without any questions asked and just delete it.
I may never come here again and am cancelling my magazine subscriptions in the morning.
This forum, sadly, ain’t what it used to be.

You should have been here in the old days! Many were on the Compuserve sailing forums . Poor Byron was forever being tipped into The Bilge Forum by The Headmistress and others. The Bilge was only accessible to the monitors and transgressors

I wasn't aware we were still missing the best bits !

Sneds

Visit site
My thread was pulled as the mods thought I was advertising my boat for sale, I wasn’t.
I was merely seeking advice and info about using brokers and ended up saving myself around £4k in fees by negotiating a deal where I did the viewings and sea trial and the broker did the advertising and paperwork.
Mods were judge and jury and “spanked my bottom” like a naughty child without considering options although they did say their leniency was ignored!
Boat was listed on Tuesday and got two offers today, one at the asking price.
Big thanks to Jay at Ocean Boat Sales in Plymouth, a true gent and consummate professional, not a plug but a well meant thanks and recommendation should anyone be thinking of selling.
I guess they’ll pull this post as well, ridiculous.
Surely conversation and exchange of experiences is the whole essence of an Internet forum ?

Portofino

Visit site
Killer Q did it sell because some one either directly or indirectly found it from this thread or the pulled one how ever short it was up ?

Just trying to figure out who’s wearing the angels wings + halo ?.

Last edited:

Sneds

Visit site
The irony hadn’t escape me but no, the sale was nothing to do with either of my posts, although I did direct the guy to the forum as he had never heard of it.
Expect a new Cardiff user any day now :)

Bouba

Visit site
The irony hadn’t escape me but no, the sale was nothing to do with either of my posts, although I did direct the guy to the forum as he had never heard of it.
Expect a new Cardiff user any day now :)
Not another from the Welsh Med?‍♂️

Boathook

Visit site
I do find these forums very helpful but you do have to sort out the silly from sensible answers at times, but that also applies to when you talk to people !
There is always one person who takes the brunt of the 'jokes' or what ever you want to call them. Presently it is Bouba but I feel that it is near ending, having run its course and I do wish him happy boating regardless of my comments.
One day it might be me but I mainly post on pbo and scuttlebutt as my boat has white flappy things on an 11m pole ....

Status
Not open for further replies.