I have computer - but which Chart System to buy??

G

I own a Dell Inspiron Laptop with enough "grunt" to take any Chart System available.

Any advice on "best buy" would be much appreciated.

Best regards :eek:)

IanD

DoctorD

Visit site
SeaPro came out well in Sailing Today's survey over a year ago, and I use SeaPro 2000 which I find pretty good - and the customer service is good too either by phone or internet. It can use Vector or Raster charts (like most of the software out there now I suppose).

Graham

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Ian,

Hi, I have been using NAVMASTER for 3 yrs, I started off with the shorebased version with 10 charts. Last year I upgraded to full offshore version and now have a 40 chart ARCS portfolio.
I used the system to plan my holiday route in the IONIAN last year made the holiday navigation a pleasure. The system has never failed and I have it linked into the autohelm, all you have to do is confirm to change bearing to next waypoint on the autohelm, it immediatly snaps onto the next waypoint, giving virtually zero cross-track error as it corrects for error every 3 seconds (set by user).
Its not the cheapest by a long way but it is among the best.
Whatever you decide on try a sample disc first, this can be obtained on the Navmaster site www.pcmaritime.co.uk
No i'm not on commission just a satisfied customer.
All the best
Trevor

G

I use Tsunamis 99 now upgraded to "Navigator" by Transas Dataco. Vectorised RA charts interface with
GPS etc, excellent detailing. I too have a Dell Inspiron all singing all dancing, however the latest
"Navigator" upgrade wont work on Win Me you need Win 2000 preferably.

cneighbour

G

Many Thanks - Awaiting Two Demo Discs - Nm.

Just many thanks.

IanD

seahorse

Visit site
Re: I have computer - OZIEXPLORER

Try Oziexplorer, trial version downlod from thier website.
Full version costs about £60.
Iv'e used this for 2 yrs now & it does evrything I need.

johndf

Visit site
Maptech

Does anyone use Maptech software? There seem to be several versions, from a free basic version which allows you to view charts but not plot position on screen, right through to an all-singing and dancing version for a few hundred pounds.

ponapay

Visit site
I have used SEAPRO for the last 4 years now - very good system they keep on adding new bits - all very useful.

It uses Livecharts, BSB charts and ARCS charts.

I run the computer off an inverter and have had no problems, the computer stays on the chart table with a velcro fixing and has stood the test of a Baltic Force 10 (it still kept an accurate plot).

Ian
ponapay@aol.com

G

Re: Maptech

I've got Maptech Cruising Navigator, got it free from MES when I bought a load of gear at the boat show.

It seems to work OK. The chart CD's are pricy but cheaper than the paper equivelent. I'm just wating to interface it with the GPS on the boat. Very good for planning cruises at home, especially as you can then use the printed charts with a Yeoman plotter.

Regards,

Peter
http://www.mistressofmourne.com