I hate VODAFONE, Mobile networks in general (abroad)

blenkinsop

Visit site
My Vodafone contract for i-phone has just come an end with the 25mb euro roaming and they offered me the £3 day option but by my reckoning £90 month is not a good deal.

I have an unlocked 3 dongle that I use for laptop internet but that refused to work in Portugal so I ended up buying a Portuguese Vodafone dongle. Vodafone really have got it sewn up making dongles country specific.

Has anybody got a dongle or method that can be used in several countries. I do not mind buying a separate sim in each country but hardware as well makes it a bit expensive. I thought the unlocked 3 dongle was going to be the answer.

It is not only Vodaphone whose dongles are country specific - we now have dongles from various suppliers for Australia, Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal and UK!

RobbieW

Visit site
Have a look at MASMovil or Yoigo for Spain. I've had a MASMovil SIM since last Sept and been using the €35/5Gb/month tariff since December - I much prefer to buy data than time. MASMovil arent perfect, the process can be lumpy but they market thier service as both Spanish & English speaking - so far the language hasnt caused me a problem. I'm still trying to resolve a billing dispute from July but to thier credit they did recognise the main problem and refund €74 within 2 days.

Yoigo have a 10Gb offer for €40 but there are more constraints than MASMovil, using Skype for instance.

nb. the increase on IVA in Spain since 1/9 has made the nice round numbers above slightly higher :(

RobbieW

Visit site
My Vodafone contract for i-phone has just come an end with the 25mb euro roaming and they offered me the £3 day option but by my reckoning £90 month is not a good deal.

I have an unlocked 3 dongle that I use for laptop internet but that refused to work in Portugal so I ended up buying a Portuguese Vodafone dongle. Vodafone really have got it sewn up making dongles country specific.

Has anybody got a dongle or method that can be used in several countries. I do not mind buying a separate sim in each country but hardware as well makes it a bit expensive. I thought the unlocked 3 dongle was going to be the answer.

hmm, I have a Voda Portugal SIM bought last year which I've since unlocked. It has worked in the UK with a 3 SIM and in Spain with a MASMovil SIM but I've not tried it back in Portugal since unlocking.

The main problem I've found is actually getting a SIM for internet use which isnt bundled with a dongle - I need it to work in a MiFi type device so SIMs for i anythings arent much use.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
hmm, I have a Voda Portugal SIM bought last year which I've since unlocked. It has worked in the UK with a 3 SIM and in Spain with a MASMovil SIM but I've not tried it back in Portugal since unlocking.

The main problem I've found is actually getting a SIM for internet use which isnt bundled with a dongle - I need it to work in a MiFi type device so SIMs for i anythings arent much use.

You can get a Data SIM from Vodaphone Spain for 29 euros including 1GB valid for three months. This is a regular normal SIM. I think you can also get an IPad SIM for the same price and conditions (but the IPad SIM might be only available for a monthly contract).

For 39 euros, you get the same thing with the dongle bundled in.
Hardly worth messing around trying to unlock dongles when the dongle is effectively costing you 10 euros.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Can I add another Rant against Vodafone?

We have a Three contract phone. The signal here is awful and customer service is also rubbish so we are going to close the contract early, pay the penalty and move to something else..

We chose Vodafone.. they do have a good signal where we live.. After three days of trying we got through to Three and after more arguments finally got a PAC code..

Now the rubbish service from Vodafone. Contacted them to set up a PAYG sim as we do not need a contract for a while. They took the details and said the number would port yesterday.. Come this morning there is no change. Contact Vodafone and ask what is going on, they say it is not possible to port a contract telephone number to a PAYG sim..

THEY DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THAT LAST WEEK WHEN THEY SET UP THE NEW SIM... Have totally wasted our time

Rant over

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
I don't think they can legally not under the oftel regulations. The only thing they can refuse is to port from contract to contract on the same network, or the same on payg.

I would argue this[/QUOT

I agree. I've had the same number for about 15 years now, ported across providers and contracts/PAYG several times.

RobbieW

Visit site

Thinking about this a bit more - unlocking the dongle is not enough. You also often have to replace the software that operates the dongle, thats what I now remember doing with the Vodafone Portugal dongle I have. The software is often also supplier specfic, I installed the ZTE Join Air generic software which made the difference.

westernman

www.devalk.nl

Effectively about 10 euros for a USB dongle. It does not seem to be worth the hassle to try and find one which will work everywhere.

The dongle will also serve as a good place to keep the SIM card so you don't lose it! :D