I hate banjo joints ...

VicS

Visit site
Not being vexatious, as an apprentice I was taught dull red then quench. Always worked for me. Slag forms when it is oxidised, so maybe they get it too hot for too long?
Stu

Yes it works if you quench it. My point is that there is no need to quench it !

savageseadog

Visit site
After annealing I often lap my washers on a piece of wet and dry on glass.

I've no problem with heating and quenching and so on but it's sometimes a good idea to buy new ones as well.

prv

Visit site
As the op I came across a possible solution - anyone used Dowty washers?

Yes - sealing parallel-threaded fittings to make up my filter manifold. They worked very nicely for that.

Sounds like they're not the right thing for banjo bolts though.

Pete

Blueboatman

Visit site
"Holdite" Sealant as recommended on previous Yanmar/rubbish banjo/airleak/fuel system threads does seem to assist/ cure this dubious component.
Since resealing the banjos on the fuel lift and secondary filter assemblies, both of which are mounted to the Yanmar engine block and therefore possibly subject to undesirable vibration, my 'invisible' air leak that necessitated bleeding if left for more than a few days, has gone.

Before that I tried new/heating/lapping copper washers without discernible success.:D

CreakyDecks

Visit site
Steel needs to cool down slowly to anneal it but copper can be quenched. Since it can be, then it makes sense to do it. That way you can get on with the job!

DavidGrieves

www.wsandba.co.uk
I've been having some problems with sealing a banjo bolt on the fuel pump on a volvo 2002. Tried all the usual stuff and even replaced the copper washers, but it still leaked. The fuel pump had been replaced by the previous owner(old one was in a locker).

I eventually removed the pump to get a closer look at it. I noticed the scrape on the bottom of the pump body. The banjo bolt had been bottoming out inside the pump preventing it squashing the copper washer. I ground a little bit of the end of the banjo, bought new washers from keyparts (alluminium ?). Put it all back together and now leak free.

Both of the fuel pumps were sealed type(Sofabex?). The old one had the inlet and outlet inline with each other. On the newer pump, the in and out were only about 30 or 40 degrees apart.

So if anybody has a new type pump it might be worth checking the banjo bolt length.

dgadee

Visit site
This is like the CAV filter threads I keep seeing, a decent working piece of engineering ruined by bungling amateurs.

Decent engineering perhaps, but then perhaps engineers bu**ered it up by having multiple "standards" - several used on the same engine - leaving us bungling amateurs trying to work out the correct threads and correct copper washer sizes.

grafozz

Visit site
non-engineering method

When working with these brass/ copper / aluminium washers on Volvo engines I flat them off , both sides on 400 grit paper. Doing this shows up the uneven surface as shiny so it is easy to see when they are even and flat . Then a very gentle tighten up without over torquing .
It has worked well on my engines

boguing

Visit site
Just to pick up on annealing again.

Copper is unusual in that it can be cooled quickly.

Most others must cool slowly - this goes for aluminium washers. Except that red heat will melt it. Annealing temp in Alu is reached when wood or soap burn and leave a mark upon contact.

Heckler

Visit site
Just to pick up on annealing again.

Copper is unusual in that it can be cooled quickly.

Most others must cool slowly - this goes for aluminium washers. Except that red heat will melt it. Annealing temp in Alu is reached when wood or soap burn and leave a mark upon contact.
Worked at Aston Martin?
Stu

ffiill

Visit site
Big problem is often with thread size.
Some use metric fine but others traditionally use UNF-so similar and therefore easy to confuse.

gibbo26

Visit site