I hardly look here any more.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Facebook + Time = Less Forum Content

Facebook, twitter, mobile apps, etc, consume more of the pot for many folks 'LCD' time. Hence most special interest forums have lost relative write traffic per user even though the no of users may have grown. Back in 2005 mobile media and social networking did not exist. This forum didn't have to share users www time as much.

Last edited:

rafiki_

Visit site
Yes Tom. I am trying to train Kapitan to be my bat man, but failing miserably. I keep thinking that it would be much easier to employ some one from Ethiopia.

But yes, he still comes about three times a week, I have not got the heart to lay him off.

Maybe this is a good example of what the forum used to be like. A load of friends all helping out.

H, to some of us, it still is. Not always of course, but as I said earlier, there are some real nuggets on here now and again.

Firefly625

Visit site

Facebook, twitter, mobile apps, etc, consume more of the pot for many folks 'LCD' time. Hence most special interest forums have lost relative write traffic per user even though the no of users may have grown. Back in 2005 mobile media and social networking did not exist. This forum didn't have to share users www time as much.

Facebook, twitter.... the work of the devil.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Ummm...oh dear well I have to hold my hand up to the creation of The Lounge but there you are. It was a horrible case of you cannot please all of the people all of the time and in that era there were loads of gripes about the motorboat forum not being about motorboating at all.

Anyhow good to see several familiar names on this thread. It seems like some irresistible black hole we all get sucked back into it from time to time, although I've spent a very peaceful few years in another part of the universe :)

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com

True - actually the big prediction initially was that MySpace and Friends Reunited would rule the universe and we were running around trying to figure out what, if anything, we supposed to do to work with them...running a forum then was seen as brave and a bit bleeding edge - now I doubt most new sites would ever spec one.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Ummm...oh dear well I have to hold my hand up to the creation of The Lounge but there you are. It was a horrible case of you cannot please all of the people all of the time and in that era there were loads of gripes about the motorboat forum not being about motorboating at all.

Anyhow good to see several familiar names on this thread. It seems like some irresistible black hole we all get sucked back into it from time to time, although I've spent a very peaceful few years in another part of the universe :)

Hiya Kim. One of the problems now. Is that hardly ever now does Pauline and I get to spend time together, in the sin bin.

Is there anything you can do to rectify this??

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Hi Kim. A ghost from the past appears! How's your tub, Formanda?

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Hiya Kim. One of the problems now. Is that hardly ever now does Pauline and I get to spend time together, in the sin bin.

Is there anything you can do to rectify this??

I report with not a small tremble of the lip that my once awesome powers are greatly diminished to the point of complete emasculation, metaphorically speaking.

My departure from IPC was marked by the downgrading of my ybw.com forum account from über admin to mere mortal. I wave my wand but, alas, nothing happens.

Mind you - I never really took you as a man that needed an excuse for getting his own way?

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Hi Kim. A ghost from the past appears! How's your tub, Formanda?

Good thanks Mike.

Formanda still needs to be finished. I've discovered the unfortunate truth that once you can use your boat again after two years of frantic work on it you develop an amazing blind eye to things like the cabins that have yet to receive their new head linings. Way more fun to use the boat, which in turn means needing to maintain it and so it goes on. We'll just call that unfinished floor or exposed deck head 'character' - at least for now.

There is an outline plan to try to make a bit of progress this winter, but meantime we've had a great summer, with a reasonable amount of cruising ('reasonable' on the basis you can never get enough) and lots of ideas what we'd like to do next.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I report with not a small tremble of the lip that my once awesome powers are greatly diminished to the point of complete emasculation, metaphorically speaking.

My departure from IPC was marked by the downgrading of my ybw.com forum account from über admin to mere mortal. I wave my wand but, alas, nothing happens.

Mind you - I never really took you as a man that needed an excuse for getting his own way?

With the greatest of respect Kim, we may some times have had slight differences of opinion, but the shower we have to deal with these days take the biscuit. They just do not communicate at all. Only Richard holds the fort and it is not even his job.

I wish you well in what ever your doing now. To be honest I think you did a good job, even though we were not the easiest mob to control.

We are all a bit older now

Last edited:

ricky_s

Visit site
How do we fix the problem then? Is it because most of the time our boats just sit about on their own in a lonely marina berth while we are all working?

Scubadoo

Visit site
This forum used be really good and interesting, but I have found myself spending more time on the Sealine forum as there are many interesting threads like refurb of boats and making changes etc, and not every member owns a Sealine. So now I tend to visit the Sealine forum first and then this forum if I have time.