i give up - please what is this?

Burnham Bob

Visit site
I inherited this with the boat but never asked the previous owner what it was. Clearing out yesterday I just couldn't see how it fits anywhere on the boat but it was obviously designed exactly this way with clips and rings and lines in specific places.

Any ideas?Clips.jpgRings.jpgThe whole thing.jpg

lw395

Visit site
If the fabric is waterproof, it may be some sort of cover to allow one of the hatches to be open in the rain?
Or it could be a lee cloth for one of the bunks?

Burnham Bob

Visit site
I thought about hatch covers and MOB recovery but the lee cloth is the most obvious answer - especially as the main bunk in the saloon has eyes that look as if the clips would fit!

Serin

Visit site
I thought about hatch covers and MOB recovery but the lee cloth is the most obvious answer - especially as the main bunk in the saloon has eyes that look as if the clips would fit!

The shape might be a bit misleading at first, as we expect lee cloths, well, to have a different aspect ratio. But many (including ours) are fixed at the outboard side of the bunk, under the cushions, so that the weight of the sleeper helps to hold them in place as well as the fixings. That's certainly what it looks like to me.