I DON'T believe it!

G

I DON\'T believe it!

This is true guys I swear!
For those of you who kinda know me amongst other titles I have I'm the Safety Boat Captain at my Yacht club. Which is kinda fancy I know but we've had one since time began. It basically means that I have to look after all the club boats and make sure we have racing safety coverage. Well yesterday (Sun) at approx. 15.00 hrs the crew go off one of the boats which is powered by a 4 cyl 70 hp Volvo Diesel (I'm think its a MD22) and they managed to turn off the ignition remove the key lock up the wheelhouse and leave the engine ticking over, it ticked over for 17 hrs (until 08.00 hrs today)
My question is "How the hell do you get off a boat with the engine still running and not notice it"??????
Believe it or not the alternator still seems to be working, but I'm concerned that they may have glazed the bores.
Any diesel mechanics out there offer any advice/checks?

scottie

Visit site
Re: I DON\'T believe it!

if the engine is a md22 then the stop solenoid is wired into the ignition switch and should opperate when the switch is turned off there is also a manual stop lever on the fuel pump.
the electrical system is a mix of insulated return but with eath return stop solenoid which is built in to the fuel pump and requires 2 connections to be made ie 1 the stop solenoid and 2 the earth to be made
have the wiring checked for loose and or damp connections

oldharry

Visit site

Go and give it a good hard thrash to see if there is any loss of performance. The engine and injectors will be well sooted up, so run it hard (at least 3/4 throttle) for the best part of an hour before you decide whether any damage has been done. It will almost certainly not be running too well to start with.

Before you go, check the oil level, then check again after the run. If there is glazing, it will have lost oil, and the crank case pressure will be up - check the engine breather to see how hard it is blowing when the engine is running.

And I agree - how the hell....?

ParaHandy

Visit site

Oh no... don't do that... it's completely b*ggered and I'll come and take the miscreant, foul, useless lump of grease infested junk away........

(any marine diesel that's so quiet you can't hear it running... I WANT IT)!!

G

The wiring on this engine is unchanged from new and is "as supplied". On the ignition switch you can insert the key at the "zero" position and if you turn it clockwise you get
1) Ignition "on"
2) Heater plugs
3) "Start"
To stop the engine you have to turn anti clock back past zero to "S"
The switch is spring loaded so that after start it springs back to ignition or run postion and if you turn it fully anti clock it stops engine and then springs back to zero.