I dare you too – a look forward

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Not so misty eyed from SYD, very true were the posts are and quite worrying if you start to think forward a few years.

People all depend upon email now and chat forums, gone will be the days down the pub replaced with a chat on line. People loose their social skills and become more intolerant as the requirement for speedy delivery gets even more important. E.g. please reply by return on the bottom of an email, now that B*****Y quick. The desire of immediacy breeds intolerance and this causes “I want it now” mentality. And what happens if you can’t have it – you steel it or hijack it ?

Kids will be educated online and at home cos we then will have anarchy on the streets and the family pet is a cyber toy or robot.

Oh Family what’s that, they don’t exist any more, as you would have chosen a “Preferred Female Profile” online and had designed test tube babies from the other type of Bank!

Now this is no way meaning that I’m against technology or some sado, but the break down in the social fabric of society is something to cause concern, just look at the two posts on this subject - one looking back and one looking at what we have now.

The signs are here now and the technology and AI on the web is only months away, search engines that learn as you use them – Adaptive Display I believe they call it.

If the look back scares you, the future certainly will.

burgundyben

Visit site
Pub?

To prevent the society that you see in the future, all cyber space and no social interaction, I recommend that this forum starts to run local pub meetings, anyone up for it? I'll start, anyone Hamble based, post here or PM.

P.S. Where do I get a burgee?
P.P.S S*****n (thought it had not been mantioned for a while).

burgundyben, coolest of men, by all I'm called, cool burgundyben.

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Re: Pub?

true I'll sort the Thames one out who's middle Thames.

Oh and S*****N - does it work if it's still in the bottle at home ;-)

Peter

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by PGD on Mon Mar 18 13:31:52 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Re: Pol Pot was right

Abandon the 21st century...everyone back into the fields. Cultural Revolution? Good, line on the left, one hoe each.

Is the social fabric breaking down, or is it merely changing? In olden days a glimpse of stocking... Does anyone really want to go back? Syd's "remember that?" thread was thought-provoking, and we all had a wonderful afternoon remembering the (relative) innocence of childhood, but what Syd wasn't remembering (because he was a kid?) was rationing, strikes, the Cuban missile crisis, apartheid, the cold war, polio, Gulags, Angola and three-day weeks.

Society changes, technology changes, everything changes. And yet nothing changes. In 30 years time my kids will be fondly remembering GameBoys and Nike Air Jordans, just as my dad fondly remembers Austin 7s, doodle-bugs and seeing a Chinese person for the first time.

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Re: Pol Pot was right

Thought provoking indeed, but the message here isn’t about inanimate objects it the mentality of us humans and the lack of education, true things changes no problem with that, it’s one of life’s certainties, like death. But the more chilling bit that SYD wrote was the street crime, drugs and drive by’s etc. In the 60’s pot didn’t kill anyone – did it – wasn’t there!

Think back only a few years and you were surprised to hear about shootings in London, now it’s a weekly occurrence, that and teenagers getting knifed for a mobile phone, FFS – these things are given away now.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Know what you mean about every one in a rush. Ordered flags on thursay-Friday. Sunday wondering where the hell they were. Sorry Samples on Friday. Then money wanted after that. so save up.

Dont forget to order your Burgee. PM me.

Haydn