I am new to the Thames, but not new to Boating

rustic

Visit site
Hi, we are in the process of moving our Viking 23 from the Norfolk Broads to the Thames, we are less able to travel to the Broads enough to make it viable, and we visit my family here in Oxford regularly, so we expect to use it more.
There are lots of things to learn, mostly where to get water, petrol, shopping etc. I have researched a lot so far.
Best regards,
Richard

prof pat pending

Visit site
Lots of the locks have water, the EA cruising guide book shows what's on each lock.
As for petrol, I buy mine at the nearest filling station to the marina were in and carry it to the boat in a 20 litre jerry can strapped into the boot of the car.

stingrayfan

Visit site
Hi Richard - depends on where you're planning on mooring - but petrol is easier than the Broads and available from a a few of the marinas. Expect to pay £1.56 a litre for it though. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!
Where are you looking at putting the boat?

Last edited:

rustic

Visit site
Hi Richard - depends on where you're planning on mooring - but petrol is easier than the Broads and available from a a few of the marinas. Expect to pay £1.56 a litre for it though. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!
Where are you looking at putting the boat?
We are looking at Abingdon, the floating pontoons and level access to and from the car with their garden centre type trollies, water within reach and electric hook up, and 12-15 minute drive from my daughters all add to make this the best for us. We will see how it goes for a few months, then renew if nothing better. It would have been perfect though, if it had showers but hey ho...
Thanks to all the other replies to my first post, I am a member of the Broads Forums, and have contributed a lot to those members. Best regards, Richard.

Steve Grubb

Visit site
HI Richard, worth picking up the Thames Guide http://www.whitewaterthecanoecentre...ok-205-p.asp?gclid=CIWC686Lx88CFUEaGwodNjkErw it's a handy reference and you can scribble your own notes on it which is useful. It's not as up to date as it could be but not bad. The thing I find most confusing it it starts in the east and ends in the west, so the opposite way to how a map would work but I'm used to it now. I also use a couple of apps on my phone - one is the very useful Explore Thames and I also have one for petrol stations 'just in case'.

rustic

Visit site
Hi Steve thank you for the information, nice to know our paths have crossed on other boating forums.
I am looking forward to taking onboard advice as well as helping other like minded people on the forum.
Thanks again,
Richard

prof pat pending

Visit site
You can get fuel at Tesco, or the filling station at the entrance to Tesco for Abingdon Marina.
There is water on the pontoon, the electric hook-up works most of the time and the bill for that is reasonable.
The mooring is probably a little overpriced considering the lack of facilities, but the floating pontoons do give peace of mind if you can't get to your boat over the winter months and want to leave it in the water.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Our window cleaner keeps his boat on a rented mooring that belongs to an owner of a waterside property-about half the Abingdon Marina price AFAIK. How you might get one I dont know-perhaps look at unoccupied ones and try to work out what address they belong to.

Being a window cleaner our guy obviously worked it out when working in the area.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Our window cleaner keeps his boat on a rented mooring that belongs to an owner of a waterside property-about half the Abingdon Marina price .
Private moorings are generally substantially cheaper than commercial ones. In this area South Stoke-Moulsford I am usually the first to know of any that are going.