I am going to be out of a job at this rate!!!

powerskipper

www.facebook.com
MBY and PBO are both got articles on boat handling and manoeuvring,

So how useful do you find them, does it encourage you to go out and try them until you get it right, or do you still think someone on board who can often bail you out if you get it wrong or tell you when it is going wrong is still needed.?

DAKA

Visit site
I've got a SWMBO that always tells me after things have gone wrong.

" I knew that was going to happen "

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rustyknight

Visit site
The thought of hundreds of mob'ers out practicing close quarter manouvers, whilst hurriedly leafing through a magazine for the right page, with a gale blowing and peeing with rain, might certainly have an entertainment value, but on the whole, I think you're safe. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Well at least we moboers do get out and practice close quarters manouvering. Seeing the antics of some yotties as they bounce their way into their berths does make me doubt whether they've ever thought about the subject

Rustyknight

Visit site
Touché /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I quite agree, but my comment was more in keeping with powerskippers emloyment, rather than the larger boaty community.....

mjkinch1

Visit site
Well I got the DVD on MOBO training, sat gleefully watching the perfect parking and manouvering, making notes and thinking ' I must remember that...'

Then when I got to try it out it all went to pot! Was it left paddleboard thingy effect or was the wind left and the left control right, and the steering somewhere else....

In the end we paid a nice man to spend a day with us on boat handling and it worked a treat, now I remember everything! (You only get your hands slapped once...)

So for me the people aspect is the one that works...Distance learning is a nice supplement for learning the technical aspects, but putting them into practice..

Martyn

gjgm

Visit site
how useful? depends on how you learn, i think. Some people can probably fly by reading a book, others by being in the air at the controls. Most, perhaps, are in between. My 14 year old has finally decided he d like to learn (though probably not from me!), so they are of some use in our household-if you partly learn like that. ( I m not sure he s not someone who learns 100pct hands on only though)

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well at least we moboers do get out and practice close quarters manouvering. Seeing the antics of some yotties as they bounce their way into their berths does make me doubt whether they've ever thought about the subject

[/ QUOTE ]Jeez you want to see the antics of some of the MoBo'ers up my way. There was a rumour a couple of years ago that one was told by a marina to "get lessons or get out!" after he had smacked a number of other boats on 3 separate occasions within 2 weeks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"

AdeOlly

Visit site
You're safe. Nothing like a tutor saying 'Well you made a right hash of that" /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif in front of fellow victims, sorry, students, to make you remember next time!

A piece of paper is helpful as an aide memoire, but no substitute for being coached by somebody able to carry out the maneouvre and correct errors as you make them.

peterandjeanette

Visit site
No probs. There is nothing to beat the personal touch, but even those can differ.
It's up to the instructor to decide which approach is better for the student.

Example. Whilst learing to fly I had two instructors. One would say " that wasn't quite right was it? Let's try again". The other would say " Come on, laddie, you can do better than that". The latter worked. ( Or perhaps I just enjoy being dominated by instructors!!)

You can read all you want, but until you try it out for real it's a different ball game. Try reading the manual for the chartplotter without having the machine in front of you. See what I mean.

mirage

www.ttp.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Example. Whilst learing to fly I had two instructors. One would say " that wasn't quite right was it? Let's try again". The other would say " Come on, laddie, you can do better than that". The latter worked.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did a RYA Powerboat Instructors course a couple of months ago & was criticised for using the first method & told I was being too harsh on the student.

KCook

needsabeach.com
Sad to say I've never had proper instruction. So tell me, is there an extra charge for the big Innocent fluttering of lashes? (Sounds much better than poor peterandjeanette's flight instructors) /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kelly Cook