Hydrovanes...any good?

WightMistress

Visit site
>Also, if anyone knows of a hydrovane looking for a new home...

Hydrovanes are individually built to the size and weight of boat, so if you buy second and it isn't the right size/weight it will under steer if too small or over steer if too big. So I wouldn't go that route.

>The Hydrovane is a very heavy beast. Perhaps one of the lighter servo-pendulum alternatives would suit your 27 footer better

As said above they are made to the size and weight of the boat so for a 27 footer it won't be a heavy beast, it will be the lightest they make. The smallest I have seen was on a 32 foot boat and the largest on a 52 foot boat.

Having been long distance sailing for six and a half years the Hydrovane is by far the most popular wind vane, 90% of boats with a wind vane, we had one and it was the best and most reliable bit of kit on the boat. It also came top in an ARC survey. You must balance the boat for it to work so no lee helm or weather helm.
Hi,
To some extent the Hydrovane is matched to your boat BUT there is a choice of main shaft length and also bracket arrangements. The top end, Affectionately referred to as the 'parking meter' is standard. The windvane that fits to the top comes in a variety of shapes and sizes too. So, if you are lucky enough to buy a Hydrovane second hand, you will be able to obtain all the bits you need. Each Hydrovane has a serial number, so the company will be able to identify the unit for you. I fitted one to my Fisher 34 ketch about 3 years ago. Yes it is physically (but reassuringly) heavy, but it works a treat. As (I suspect) with all windvane steering systems, they teach you to trim your sails more accurately - if you are pulling a ton of weather helm the vane will hang over hard and fight it. Also, once you have the sails trimmed well and the windvane working, it is amazing the bit of extra speed you get, because there isn't a human cranking the helm all over the place.
Would I buy the Hydrovane again? Definitely.
Steve

WightMistress

Visit site
And I’ll point out that this post says more about his wheel brake than the Hydrovane,,,, why is it the Hydrovane’s fault that his wheel doesn’t lock very well? Strange logic of some people in old threads.
That's strange. Yes, while the small vane control line comes inboard, in our Fisher 34 we leave the rudder trailing. We did play with lashing the wheel when we were doing our first Channel crossing with 'Vera the Steerer' doing her thing, but it really didn't make any difference. PLUS, by having the helm free (especially in the busy waters of the Solent) it is reassuring to have the helm ready for use..... The only thing we have noticed is that if the Hydrovane rudder grows some green stuff on it, the steering gets a little flukey. Best to keep it clean. We tend to take it off when alongside for any length of time, giving it a nice coat of PTFE polish.

steve1963

Visit site
As always the ybw crew deliver the goods...thank you all for thoughts/input.

The cutlass is indeed small & light - so am now thinking that HV is not the way to go (she will already be sitting lower in the water with tankage, suitable safety gear, more heavy duty rigging & updated electrics)...

Monitors appear to be an eye-watering $5000 plus tax/shipping/extras...are they sold in the UK? Scanmar (distributed by seatronics) seem to be different to the scanmar international who make monitors... & although they are all over the US, I can't find anything this side of the pond.

So, local, (reasonably) affordable suggestions?
The Sea Feather is meant to be a good bit of kit for smaller boats. Made in Devon i think

Lucky_Jack

Visit site
I acquired a Hydrovane a couple of years ago with my new (to me) Vancouver 28 - the previous owner had bought it (used) but not fitted it. I have um'd and ah'd about fitting it, but at the moment I'm leaning towards not - it's a very well engineered bit of kit, but it seems to be just a little heavy for my boat, and the use I would make of it. I also wonder about the effect it would have on manoeuvrability astern. I've read somewhere that to turn astern, you need to move boat and hydrovane rudders together (with the wind vane disengaged) - but with the throttle as well, that sounds like three hands at a busy time. Any thoughts on that?

If I go for a new purchase, the Windpilot Pacific is looking attractive. I also recently enquired about getting a Sea Feather - as noted above, looks like a good bit of kit. Unfortunately, a couple of emails have gone unanswered. Could be Covid, I suppose?

PTB

Visit site
I love our hydrovane, BUT we always remove the rudder when entering a marina in case we have to do a lot of astern work. This is quite easy even without a swim platform using a boathook or similar to take the pin and clip out. However putting the rudder back on is difficult without a swim platform or a stern ladder and agile crew. Impossible if it is rough. Having said that you have to weigh up the inevitable pros and cons of the different gears as discussed in this and many threads. Phil