hydraulic steering problem

timevans2000

Visit site
I have hydraulic steering on my catamaran. I think it is original, which puts it 22 years old.
this weekend the steering felt ratchety. I know I have had air in it in the past which has made it feel like there is no resistance to turning the wheel, but this felt different. Anybody any idea what the problem is?

If it is simply worn out can I get another as I direct replacement?

I cant make out the name on the plate properly but the company is based in OSPREY, FLORIDA. It says, MAX WHEEL SIZE 28 inch, MAX DISH 5 inch.

Another assistance would be appreciated

<hr width=100% size=1>

Paul_H

Visit site
Ill be watching this post with interest. Ive got a similar problem with an old Vetus unit. My guess is that a rubber seal on one of the pistons or valves is worn. Probably not possible or worth repairing so started saving for a new unit.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Mine feesl a bit ratchety at times, especially the outside steering position, i just put up with it, it's been like it for 8 years and gets no worse, so stuff it, I'll repair/replace it when it breaks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

timevans2000

Visit site
Re: hydraulic steering good news

Found the manufacturer of my steering pump, HYNAUTIC, now part of Teleflex.

Spoke to the UK dealer, Hypo Marine. Chap there is Steve Clark. Really helpful.

He reckons that these hydraulic pumps are bullet proof. Been around 25 years and they are only just needing seal kits. He reckons that the ratchety feel is air in the system. Undoing the bleed screws on the bottom of the resevoir and turning the steering wheel 30 times in each direction should remove the air.

I try this at the weekend.

Worst case scenario is a new seal kit which they would be happy to fit over the winter.

If anybody else needs help try Steve on 01590 681445

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
Re: hydraulic steering good news

I replaced the pump in my prout so that i could change the steering ratio. if anyone is interested, i still have the original pump, which was in perfect working order when removed. intending to sell the boat so i no longer need it as a spare.

pm me if interested

<hr width=100% size=1>