HY-PRO steering pump identification

jointventureII

Visit site
Dear forum,

I've just 'celebrated' 3 years with my Bertram 25, and am now finally moving on to fixing the accessories and various other bits that I removed after over 1000 hours doing more essential things. Had a good summer's use.

The below pump has always just been there, connected to the steering system. Is this an (old) autopilot pump or a power steering pump? (Or are they the same thing?) The only marking is HY-PRO on the bottom. There is a 12v cable coming out that has never been connected. There is no oil reservoir anywhere in the system, no screen or head unit on the helm station, no switch or control. The 3 tubes go to the steering cylinder (2) and the lower helm position.

As it stands, the steering is unassisted and that's perfectly usable, I'm not interested in putting this pump back into life (changing seals etc) if it's only going to help me turn the wheel. However if it can be used as an autopilot pump...

Any help IDing the pump or what it's for, or even where I might find the model written on the pump (once sandblasted) would be appreciated greatly.

20231120_142253.jpg
20231120_142245.jpg

vas

Visit site
I expect this to be an autopilot pump. fwiw, my steering ram is similar to yours.
Now if this pump will play ball with whatever autopilot you have/wish to install is another thing altogether...
3rd pipe that goes to lower helm is the "return" pipe taking excess oil back to the top of the circuit to be reused.

jointventureII

Visit site
I expect this to be an autopilot pump. fwiw, my steering ram is similar to yours.
Now if this pump will play ball with whatever autopilot you have/wish to install is another thing altogether...
3rd pipe that goes to lower helm is the "return" pipe taking excess oil back to the top of the circuit to be reused.
Cheers vas - I took the pump apart today and ran 12v down it, both ways, and it spins both ways no problem. I'm almost certain it is an autopilot pump because there is a very small fitting on the steering arm that looks very much like where a rudder indicator would be attached.

Anything I can get out of this will be a bonus. Cylinder and steering pump seal kits ordered, now to see if I can get an autopilot system to work with this pump!

jointventureII

Visit site
Found it - Autohelm Type 1 Z041.

autohelm autopilot pump z041 (2).jpeg

This means I now need something compatible with this - apparently that's an old Autohelm ST6000 or ST7000 system

Presumably the components required are:
-rudder (sterndrive) position sensor
-fluxgate compass
-control unit

Attachments

• autohelm autopilot pump z041.jpeg
    autohelm autopilot pump z041.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 3

NorthUp

Visit site
Yes. The original system probably could be configured to either reverse the current straight out of the controller, or have a port feed, starboard feed, and common negative, if the hydraulics had solenoid valves instead of reversing the motor/ hydraulic pump.

vas

Visit site
and another note, if you end up buying the a/p bit by bit and you end up needing a 100-200euro VDO style rudders sensor, get one from alibaba for a tenner :p
however, I'd try a suitable modern a/p that will work with your plotter, especially if you're thinking of using it a lot.

jointventureII

Visit site
@vas yes I will indeed be needing a rudder sensor. I'm trying to locate an old system, the old Autohelm systems seem to be the best fit for what I need (this setup will be used for trolling mainly, just to keep the boat in a straightish line)

It doesn't need to be able to run search patterns, zig zags or anything fancy. The more basic, the better. Will update in due course, but if I can get an autopilot system in place for under €/£500 then I'll be over the moon.

Reactions: vas

jointventureII

Visit site
Ah missed this thanks Dino, I went for a ST6002 / S1 course computer in the end.

Pump reinstalled and all components hooked up. Took it out for a sea trial, seems to work pretty well.

20231219_095934.jpg

Up there with the most satisfying jobs I've ever done if I'm honest. Amazing what can be recovered and made to work with a little time and effort

Dino

Visit site
I changed my head unit to a 6002 also. It takes up a lot less space on the dashboard.
Have you integrated it with a chartplotter?

jointventureII

Visit site
No I've not for the moment, going to see what is out there 2nd hand. All this gear really retains value, it seems

I still have to change all the seals in the steering cylinder and helm stations as it leaks like a sieve

Rappey

Visit site
All this gear really retains value, it seems
It works well and lasts a long time. There are people around that repair the old items. I bought a used autohelm 100 course computer 25 years ago and it has been faultless, likewise with the 30 year old seastar hydraulics.