Hurley 27

Tranona

Visit site
its an old British yacht.

What more is there to say - Folkboat inspired design, rugged build desirable in its day and will suit if you like a Folkboat with a bit more space and speed.

jwilson

Visit site
Plastic Folkboat clone with more tophamper and slightly bigger interior and possibly a trace less speed. Solidly built.

halcyon

Visit site
Used to own Hurley 27 Monique, nice boat, dinette layout worked okay, roomy good hight in cabin. Only down side was it did not like a big sea on a stern quarter, tended to roll a bit, just needed a bit of tacking. Check rudder for splitting, they had a steel pivot encapsulated during build, this can rust causing a split. We had to have our rudder split open a stainless shaft installed. Do not over canvas, does not give you more speed, just heel, it can out run a Folk Boat.
Can never see the this based on a folkboat thing, they are just a standard long keel design,like Tally Ho just smaller.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Decent boats of their day. Definitely not a boat to be avoided. The style of this and similar boats less favoured these days, so should mean lower priced (but also lower price and perhaps longer time when it comes to sell).

Condition and type of inboard engine will be crucial.

Being a long-keeler, with keel-hung rudder with prop cut out, it will be, er, character building when it comes to manoeuvring in close quarters, especially in tight marinas. I suspect you've had 'em before, and know that with practice and the application of brain power that can be mitigated.

I used to have a Hurley 22 (long fin), a very impressively reassuring small boat (they were even raced across the Atlantic!), which gave me lots of fun and adventures (e.g single-handed Devon to Brittany, and to Scilly Isles, etc., and lots of 'two-up cruising). I would have very much liked something bigger with the same attributes/designer, and at the time coveted, among others, a Hurley 27, tempered by feeling its extended coachroof and higher topsides wasn't anywhere near as aesthetically pleasing as the Hurley 22 and other boats by the same designer and yard.

From my experience and researches at the time it seemed that the Hurley built boats were tough and quite well built for the time (later Hurley 22s by different builder less so). Ian Anderson could certainly design a decent hull, but my impression was he was less adept or focused on internal ergonomics, aesthetics and sophistication - though it's always tough to fit everything in a 22 footer, and it certainly proved practical enough for both weekend sailing and serious cruising.

With a Hurley 27 you will be able to hang on to your fantasy of doing some proper, manly, long-distance cruising, but I wonder how Mrs. W will feel about the trad internal layout and styling.

Wansworth

Visit site
Decent boats of their day. Definitely not a boat to be avoided. The style of this and similar boats less favoured these days, so should mean lower priced (but also lower price and perhaps longer time when it comes to sell).

Condition and type of inboard engine will be crucial.

Being a long-keeler, with keel-hung rudder with prop cut out, it will be, er, character building when it comes to manoeuvring in close quarters, especially in tight marinas. I suspect you've had 'em before, and know that with practice and the application of brain power that can be mitigated.

I used to have a Hurley 22 (long fin), a very impressively reassuring small boat (they were even raced across the Atlantic!), which gave me lots of fun and adventures (e.g single-handed Devon to Brittany, and to Scilly Isles, etc., and lots of 'two-up cruising). I would have very much liked something bigger with the same attributes/designer, and at the time coveted, among others, a Hurley 27, tempered by feeling its extended coachroof and higher topsides wasn't anywhere near as aesthetically pleasing as the Hurley 22 and other boats by the same designer and yard.

From my experience and researches at the time it seemed that the Hurley built boats were tough and quite well built for the time (later Hurley 22s by different builder less so). Ian Anderson could certainly design a decent hull, but my impression was he was less adept or focused on internal ergonomics, aesthetics and sophistication - though it's always tough to fit everything in a 22 footer, and it certainly proved practical enough for both weekend sailing and serious cruising.

With a Hurley 27 you will be able to hang on to your fantasy of doing some proper, manly, long-distance cruising, but I wonder how Mrs. W will feel about the trad internal layout and styling.
I am alérgica to dinette arrangements😂