Hurley 20

G

My Hurley 20 bilge keels are 90% filled with what I presume is resin and some form of metal cuttings.
At the back of each keel there is a space approx. 30cm x 50cm which goes right down to the bottom of the moulding. Rather than being a usefull storage space we are always losing stuff down the 'holes'.
If I was to fill these spaces up with say concrete thus increasing the ballast would this make her stiffer and improve my boats poor windward performance or would it be detrimental to the boat?
Any views or coments gladly accepted.
Ian

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Really don't think you are ce-meant to do this. Bad idea. Why not get hold of some lead shot and fill with this and glass over in such a way that it can be removed if for some reason this proves necessary at a later date. Is your boat on the tender side if not why do you want to increase its keel weight which will make it lower in the water producing more drag which could have an adverse affect on light wind performance. Hence my reason for suggesting that the extra ballast should be removable.
Good luck
Trevor

graham

Visit site
If the only problem is things falling down why not make some plywood covers over the holes?I think that adding extra ballast to such a well proven boat would not be beneficial.

You could fill the void with aerosol expanding foam but personally I would leave them empty so any wetness inside the keels can evaporate over the winter ashore months ,provided you sponge the sumps completely dry of course.