Hunter Formula One experiences please!

SeasickPete

Visit site
I bought my Formula 1 in 1982 after seeing it introduced at the London Boat Show. It was called Jolly Roger, sail number K8013Y, and the spinnaker had a skull and cross bones - but with a smile. The treatment I received by a small clique in Medway Yacht Club, who knobbled my rating against the racing rules they had drawn up, ruined my racing drive. They were trying to run the racing so only they would win. I will not mention names in public forum as I am not vindictive, as I have proof through the protest that went to appeal at the RYA that I won. Jolly Roger was traded in against a Feeling 286 in 1987. This was sold in 1992 as business and family pressure meant I did not have time to sail. Jolly Roger was renamed by the new owners who were based in Woodbridge, but they did not realise the spinnaker had an emblem. That was how I knew it was my old boat when I saw her in about 1990.

View attachment 45509
This was Jolly Roger on her first race. Sorry the quality is not brilliant but it is a photograph of a photograph.

So in answer to your question, I stopped sailing by the time you were racing so I doubt if we ever met.

As an aside, did you know there was a Formula 1 in Hong Kong. It was owned by an airline captain and he used his position to airfreight it out there! Weighing about a ton and booking it as a space filler on a freighter, would not have cost him too much with his staff discout - probably less than £1000 on an £7000 boat. Those were truly mad days. This story was told to me by the Hunter staff.
@Concerto I know this is a very old thread but I was happy to find it. Just wanted to let you know that I bought your old boat about a month ago. She has been sitting unused in a slip for 5 years in Gorinchem, The Netherlands before I picked her up. The previous owner had her for 17 years of I remember correcty.

Attachments

• P_20240924_124146.jpg
    P_20240924_124146.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19

ridgy

Visit site
A fine choice, though I hope you can budget for a new genoa...that thing was stolen from Noahs ark. The class genoa is mylar.

SeasickPete

Visit site
Thanks, really enjoyed sailing her thus far. This afternoon I took the time to go through most of the sails. The one I posted is one of the originals from the eighties. I believe the 150%. That and the 125% are a bit worse for wear. Luckely the previous owner also had some better sails. In total I got 3 genoa's a jib, 2 spinakers (one of which is the Jolly Roger one with the smile) and 2 main sails. Al in all enough sails to play around with for now and when the new season comes perhaps some new sails will be ordered as well.

Bobc

Visit site
We have 8063. She lives at Oxford during the winter and we take her to events during the summer. Fleets are at Rutland, South Shields, and Ireland. We race 3-up most of the time but find you need a 4th body on the sea to punch through.

You can sink them (if you try). Don't try.

We are thinking of bringing ours down for Torbay regatta next year, and seeing if we can get the Rutland gang to come too.

Anything you want to know, please just ask.
FB_IMG_1657558251223.jpg

SeasickPete

Visit site
We have 8063. She lives at Oxford during the winter and we take her to events during the summer. Fleets are at Rutland, South Shields, and Ireland. We race 3-up most of the time but find you need a 4th body on the sea to punch through.

You can sink them (if you try). Don't try.

We are thinking of bringing ours down for Torbay regatta next year, and seeing if we can get the Rutland gang to come too.

Anything you want to know, please just ask.
View attachment 183395
Your's looks really good, all shiny. I got some work to do over the winter I see. I do have a few questions now you mention it.

I see you have a VHF antenna, do you have a build in unit of is it an extension for a handheld unit? What kind of electrics are you running? Mine currently consists of speakerwire, navigation lights and an old school NASA speedlog. None of those currently work.

I really like the Formula one red and blue decals, would like to replace those. Do you know where to get a hold of these?

And finally, for now, do you know where I could find a copy of the owners manual? I would like to learn on how to use all the cleats, blocks and stoppers scattered all over the deck. This boat is capable of doing way more then I currently am and I would like to get it back up to spec and learn on how to use it all in a way it was designed.

Bobc

Visit site
Your's looks really good, all shiny. I got some work to do over the winter I see. I do have a few questions now you mention it.

I see you have a VHF antenna, do you have a build in unit of is it an extension for a handheld unit? What kind of electrics are you running? Mine currently consists of speakerwire, navigation lights and an old school NASA speedlog. None of those currently work.

I really like the Formula one red and blue decals, would like to replace those. Do you know where to get a hold of these?

And finally, for now, do you know where I could find a copy of the owners manual? I would like to learn on how to use all the cleats, blocks and stoppers scattered all over the deck. This boat is capable of doing way more then I currently am and I would like to get it back up to spec and learn on how to use it all in a way it was designed.
We have a fixed VHF set, and also a handheld.

We have a clipper depth. That is all. The rules forbid electronic aids.

The stripes were done by a local guy who does vehicle wrapping and stuff. Find one near you and they should be able to do it for you.

Never seen a manual anywhere.

Join the Facebook group. Nick Verdino who runs the class association is very helpful and knowledgable, and helped us a lot getting ours sorted and race-fit.

Concerto

Visit site

It is great to see my old boat and surprised it has moved to the Netherlands.

Personally I would not bother with a VHF, just use a hand held one. There were never any electrics on Jolly Roger. To comply with safety regulations I had clip on battery navigation lights, but I never used them. During the time I owned her, we never sailed at night, nor did we ever user the galley or elsan. She remained a stripped out racer.

As Bobc said, any vinyl sign writer can recreate new graphics. Photograph the lettering and they will also be able to match the originals.

There was never any owners manual. The rig is relatively simple to set up and use a rig guage like Loos for optimum tension. Just ensure you do not have a S bend laterally by sighting up the mast track. It is easy to understand the running rigging, most is just logical unless a previous owner has altered something.

You might be wise to check the main halyard sheave. One day the wire jumped out and down between the side of the sheave and housing. We lifted the mast out on the water using my parents boat to free it. To remove the slack we inserted two plastic disks from some spray can caps. If they are still there then they will probably be getting thin and worth replacing.

Finding the full potential of a Formula 1 will take some getting used to as they can sail very fast and respond instantly. Setting a spinnaker in a force 7 or stronger is quite a skill if you want to plane. Best to have a single reef in. Did once plane her with a double reefed main and storm jib.

If you look at my about me page, you will see lots of info and videos of what I have been doing over the past decade including sailing singlehanded round the very top of the UK in my 1980 32ft Westerly Fulmar that I have restored to almost new condition.

Concerto

Visit site
Jolly Roger, my Formula 1 was an early boat supplied in March 1882 and I cannot remember ever seeing an owners manual. Even the name David Robinson, who compiled the manual, does not ring any bells but I am testing my memory from over 40 years ago.

It is good to see the class is still active after 40 years. They were brilliant boats when new and have stood the test of time very well. Some where I do have the original brochure, but it is still packed in a box after moving home in May. When I locate it I will try and scan it for this thread.

oldbloke

Visit site
A common enough name but, I expect that this David Robinson was the , now deceased, superstar sailing, high up at Proctors, first British Olympic Sailing Coach and founder of Team Sails.
If it is this David Robinson read it and take note. If its another Dave, ignore it

Concerto

Visit site
A common enough name but, I expect that this David Robinson was the , now deceased, superstar sailing, high up at Proctors, first British Olympic Sailing Coach and founder of Team Sails.
If it is this David Robinson read it and take note. If its another Dave, ignore it
Proctors supplied the mast, so quite possible he also bought a Formula 1. I could not remember anyone called David Robinson at Hunter Boats and I knew a number of the staff.

The Formula 1 was introduced at the London Boat Show in Jan 1982 and mine was supplied about 2½ months later. In that period I doubt if there had been time to create an owners manual, hence why I could never remember having seen one.

SeasickPete

Visit site
We have a fixed VHF set, and also a handheld.

We have a clipper depth. That is all. The rules forbid electronic aids.

The stripes were done by a local guy who does vehicle wrapping and stuff. Find one near you and they should be able to do it for you.

Never seen a manual anywhere.

Join the Facebook group. Nick Verdino who runs the class association is very helpful and knowledgable, and helped us a lot getting ours sorted and race-fit.
Thanks for the additional info and tip to get a vehicle wrapping company make some new stickers, will follow up on that one!

SeasickPete

Visit site
It is great to see my old boat and surprised it has moved to the Netherlands.

Personally I would not bother with a VHF, just use a hand held one. There were never any electrics on Jolly Roger. To comply with safety regulations I had clip on battery navigation lights, but I never used them. During the time I owned her, we never sailed at night, nor did we ever user the galley or elsan. She remained a stripped out racer.

As Bobc said, any vinyl sign writer can recreate new graphics. Photograph the lettering and they will also be able to match the originals.

There was never any owners manual. The rig is relatively simple to set up and use a rig guage like Loos for optimum tension. Just ensure you do not have a S bend laterally by sighting up the mast track. It is easy to understand the running rigging, most is just logical unless a previous owner has altered something.

You might be wise to check the main halyard sheave. One day the wire jumped out and down between the side of the sheave and housing. We lifted the mast out on the water using my parents boat to free it. To remove the slack we inserted two plastic disks from some spray can caps. If they are still there then they will probably be getting thin and worth replacing.

Finding the full potential of a Formula 1 will take some getting used to as they can sail very fast and respond instantly. Setting a spinnaker in a force 7 or stronger is quite a skill if you want to plane. Best to have a single reef in. Did once plane her with a double reefed main and storm jib.

If you look at my about me page, you will see lots of info and videos of what I have been doing over the past decade including sailing singlehanded round the very top of the UK in my 1980 32ft Westerly Fulmar that I have restored to almost new condition.
Hi Concerto,

Thanks for the information, will definitely check up with the hallyard sheave. Quite curious if your fix held up over all these years, will snap a picture when I get a chance.
For now the boat has way more potential then I have so got to grow into it, force 7 spinaker action is in the too scary catagory for now.

I'll have a look at your page later.