Hull cleaning

G

Following on from the trailering question - I wondered if it would be worthwhile cleaning the hull whist the boat is on the trailer. Though I'd use a garage pressure wash - good idea???

tony_brighton

Visit site
Might as well do - if you pay a yard it will cost a lot and thats exactly the sort of kit they use (except maybe stronger). But if you are trailering then you shouldn't get the same sort of build up that a permanent mooring incurs.

G

If you clean the hull with the boat off of the trailer you'll only need a brush,some soap and SCUBA gear I would have thought!!

G

Either find a garage at the end of your journey or take a portable pressure washer with you its amazing how much muck you pick up even on a short tow. Also make sure you have mild solvent to remove tar spots.

If you have the option tow at night the motorways are clearer, and you find that if you are overtaking trucks, more often than not they will flash their headlights when you are clear ahead to pull back in (even in daytime).

G

Overtaking!

I'd considered getting someone to walk in front with a red flag.

Good point about the road muck - cleaning at the end of the journey it is then. The jet wash dosn't erode the antifoul does it???

incognito

N/A
Visit site
Only just come in on this.. if you have self-eroding a/f, then be v careful with the pressure hose to only take off foul and not a/f.
Can your boat take an under-cover? Well worth it. Your own car and the trailer wheels will send up an abrasive slurry in bad weather, and sand-blast in good weather (albeit not a great deal) not to mention diesel film if you have a diesel car. My undercover cost just over £100 for 16ft-er, it protects the whole bottom and topsides, but nothing above the gunnels.

G

Let me clarify.....the boat has recently been antifouled (type unknown to me) and I'm trailering it only to bring it home, thereafter it'll be in the water for the season - don't know about after.

By jet washing, I didn't want to take the antifoul off!

Another question - what should I do with the two side and top covers - they're only on poppers so might blow away. On the otherhand, leaving the center cockpit open might make things worse. A pal had an idea of shrink wrapping the cockpit covers in place. I work in a warehouse and get a big roll. what do you think?