Hull cleaning net

Tintin

Visit site
At a marina in France recently I saw a couple with a J boat get a sort of long net thing out. One took each end and pushed it under the hull then they seesawed it back and forth as they made their way aft.

I've never seen these online - anyone got any info?

bbg

Visit site
A piece of carpet, with wooden battens and a rope at each end.
This is with astroturf, which is actually a bit too abrasive.

P6010070600x450.jpg

Remember to remove the paddlewheel for the speedo first.

Last edited:

Tintin

Visit site

P6010070600x450.jpg

That is a good idea - I wonder if it will be too abrasive for Coppefrcoat - I just want a simple solution to remove the slime.

savageseadog

Visit site
That is a good idea - I wonder if it will be too abrasive for Coppefrcoat - I just want a simple solution to remove the slime.

For Coppercoat the more abrasive the better I would have thought.

I made one of these cleaning aids some time ago, I assumed someone else might have thought of the idea but hadn't actually seen one before. My observations are:
1) It won't clean where the rudder or keel is, obvious but true.
2) Watch out for potential damage to the log impeller. Best to pull it out of the way.
3) The one in the picture above is a bit wide IMO. With the curve of the hull the carpet might not sit well across its width. Mine was about 300mm wide. Make it about 0.5m longer than the maximum length across the hull.

Visit site

P6010070600x450.jpg

How do you deal with the hull to the side of the keel, with the hull round the prop shaft and the rudder? I can see this approach working forward of the keel but thats it.

bbg

Visit site
Yes, those would all be issues. On my boat the chord of the keel was quite short, no engine so no prop shaft and transom hung rudders.

On a J-24 I used to race on we used a floss like the one in my photo (but with a much less abrasive pile carpet) and a special brush. The brush itself was not special, just a wide brush with soft bristles (for sweeping a floor). The handle was long, made of domestic plumbing piping with two 45degree bends and maybe 70 cm between the bend. The genius was the foam float attached opposite the bristles. The brush was pushed under the hull (from the pontoon) and the buoyancy of the float pushed the brush against the hull. That is how you can clean the side if the keel and the hull beside the keel.

Quandary

Visit site
We used both those methods on our Trapper 300 back in the seventies, the carpet was a 300mm. strip of cord left over from the office floor and the float was a plastic bottle. It was for a winter series when we were moored in a river, we used to take a halyard to a tree on the opposite bank but could never induce more than about 20 degrees of heel, this was a typical Bruce Kirby boat that liked to lie flat waving her keel in the air everytime the spinnaker was up.