Hubbell 240v shore power plug

Mikehp0

Visit site
I'm trying to wire up a spare shorepower cable.

My Jeanneau Prestige has a Hubbell twist to lock shorepower socket into which I connect a Hubbell HBL332CRCX plug which in turn needs to be wired in to my shorepower cable.

My shorepower cable has the usual euro wire colours (brown, blue and green/yellow). The Hubbell plug has a clearly marked earth terminal for the green/yellow cable but the other two terminals are marked X & Y and I don't know which cable (brown or blue) goes into which by necessity or convention (given that it is AC)

Can anyone advise, please?

Many thanks

Mike

tross

Visit site
Personally I would NEVER have one of those Hubble connectors on a boat..
I used to work for an American computer company that used those connectors - they where a never ending source of problems. They had a tendancy to overheat it the connections where anything other than super clean. Talking to my sailing frends in the USA there has been a number of them catching fire because of corroded/dirty connections. I would replace them with commando type connectors

RupertW

Visit site
Y is neutral
X is live

Worth noting though that in Europe the concept of neutral and live seems very loose with them often reversed in marina systems - sometimes from one power reset to the next in the same marina so if you are out of the UK a polarity checker each time you connect will often be needed - and of course a simple to use polarity reverser to correct it.

Robin

Visit site
Personally I would NEVER have one of those Hubble connectors on a boat..
I used to work for an American computer company that used those connectors - they where a never ending source of problems. They had a tendancy to overheat it the connections where anything other than super clean. Talking to my sailing frends in the USA there has been a number of them catching fire because of corroded/dirty connections. I would replace them with commando type connectors

I had 2 catch fire in the USA, one on a brand new cable set. Had to coat them with dielectric grease periodically and waive my heat gun at them occasionally to check if they got too hot. apparently small contact (pips on tabs) area coupled with higher amps of USA 110volt system is problem. Never ever had probs back home in Europe with EU blue plugs other than reversed polarity, rare, but we carried a checker/reverser just in case.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
...... Never ever had probs back home in Europe with EU blue plugs other than reversed polarity, rare, but we carried a checker/reverser just in case.

In Europe with the outdoor blue plugs what do you use for a checker/reverser? Would a short lead to a 13amp extension socket allow the use of a domestic 13 amp tester
For a reverser do you just have a short male to female extension lead with the L and N swapped at one end?

Thanks

TudorSailor

Robin

Visit site
In Europe with the outdoor blue plugs what do you use for a checker/reverser? Would a short lead to a 13amp extension socket allow the use of a domestic 13 amp tester
For a reverser do you just have a short male to female extension lead with the L and N swapped at one end?

Thanks

TudorSailor

Not sure where I bought the reverser, might have been Force 4? The checker was a simple domestic one plugged into a socket on the boat's 220V ring main. never had to use the reverser between Poole and La Rochelle, used it once in Normandy, otherwise no probs indicated. Both were sold with that boat, no longer have a system on board current boat but probably should.