HP -528A AIS no NMEA data

KAM

Visit site
Just setting this up. All working except NMEA. All looks pretty simple but nothing on 4800 or 38400. Have I missed something. All usual checks carried out.

KAM

Visit site
Page 22 of my manual is just user screens. All I have is p34 NMEA I/O with just just different options for baud and sentences. Then pin outs on p37 with 232 or 422 options. Can't see any other options in the menus. Looks like it may need to be enabled in some way.

KAM

Visit site
Looks like the nmea sentences are compatible with my other equipment. Cable buzzed through. Other equipment worki g with different nmea source.

KAM

Visit site
Its similar to mine. I think its OK. Very easy to set up and use except the NMEA wont work. Just wonder if it needs to be in a particular mode to output NMEA. I think I'll check it with a voltmeter and see if there's an output. Its not a show stopper if it doesn't work but I like to have a GPS signal independent from my plotter to feed the DSC radio.

KAM

Visit site
Connected to 422 TX + and - pins 7 and 6. Thanks for the info Superheat. The 528 seems a bit simpler than the other plotters. Instructions are very clear but I'll see if there are any hidden set ups.

KAM

Visit site
So I compared the working NMEA signal with the signal coming from the 528A. By watching the multimeter display fluctuations it was possible to see that the polarity was reversed. I double checked and i had not made a mistake. Not sure if the manual is wrong or my unit is wired wrongly but reversing the connections to pins 6 and 7 has resolved the problem. Perhaps anyone else with a 528A could confirm my findings. Thanks for the pointers.

superheat6k

Visit site
Despite the nay sayers, I have owned first the HP-628A and now the HP-1228A, both bought direct from Huanyang in China and they have both worked superbly. I wonder why the big names have not combined the AIS transceiver function within the Plotter. The only annoyance for me is the Irish tricolour instead of the Union Flag for labelling the boat.

KAM

Visit site
I agree the 528 feels very solid and very fast. Very intuitive and easy to use despite the data issue. I just got my Irish passport so a tri colour suits me fine.

KAM

Visit site
Ill need to take back what i just said. The gps is not picking up the date. Time is correct but date field is blank. Looks like there's a possibility it's the gps date rollover bug

KAM

Visit site
Ill need to take back what i just said. The gps is not picking up the date. Time is correct but date field is blank. Looks like there's a possibility it's the gps date rollover bug from 2019.

KAM

Visit site
All good now but 3 minor bugs. Date field remains blank. TX RX indicators on the radar display inoperative. NMEA connection polarity reversed or manual incorrect but otherwise all seems to be working.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
All good now but 3 minor bugs. Date field remains blank. TX RX indicators on the radar display inoperative. NMEA connection polarity reversed or manual incorrect but otherwise all seems to be working.
The tx/rx ‘lights’ never lit up on my HP33a unit.

davierobb

www.guesthouseprestwickayr.co.uk
So I compared the working NMEA signal with the signal coming from the 528A. By watching the multimeter display fluctuations it was possible to see that the polarity was reversed. I double checked and i had not made a mistake. Not sure if the manual is wrong or my unit is wired wrongly but reversing the connections to pins 6 and 7 has resolved the problem. Perhaps anyone else with a 528A could confirm my findings. Thanks for the pointers.
Just helped to fit one of these on a friend's boat and pin 6/7 had too be reversed. I'm not sure if it's the manual that is wrong or if the unit has been wired incorrectly.