Howth Marina (Dublin) - Not a happy camper!

skodster

Visit site
I had a Jaguar 23 craned out at Howth Marina in Dublin. Before sailing around, I was told that they would charge 57 Euro to lift my sailing boat. They knew it was a sailing boat because they asked. I checked the website and this confirmed prices…57 Euro for a boat up to 7.5metres with no mention of masts etc.

On Saturday, I was presented with a mystery invoice. I rang them to query it and was told that it was for the mast lift.

Here’s my gripe. When I phoned, they asked what the boat was. They knew it was a sailing boat. Why didn’t they tell me at the time about the extra charge?

Have you had similar experiences of this sort of sharp practice? I realise that these guys run a business and can charge what they need to charge but I get annoyed when I clearly ask for a price with them having all the details and then they invoice extra.

Hummph! :mad:

dt4134

Visit site
Was the mast lift compulsory? In other words would they have allowed you to be stored ashore with the mast up?

If it wasn't, I'd guess they could argue that the extra charge was for an option that you chose to take.

You might be a bit miffed at having to pay €43 more than you thought, but you could've paid a lot more elsewhere.

gardenshed

Visit site
in their defence, they lift a lot of boats which either don't have the mast removed (out & then back in after work done overnight on the cradle next to the crane) or e.g. etchells, where the owners lift out the masts themselves using a Bi-pod that attaches to the shroud base. Unless you told them, they wouldn't automatically assume that they were removing your mast.
If you can find anywhere else in the east coast of Ireland that will do the job cheaper, then let us know.

prv

Visit site
At first reading I got the impression you never asked them to remove the mast, and was indignant on your behalf at the unexpected charge. Especially on a 23-footer where you can presumably lower it yourself (I do without a qualm on my 24-footer).

Then it occurred to me that maybe you did ask them to take the mast down, but thought it was included in the lift-out price. In that case it's more of a misunderstanding, and while they could have been clearer on the phone or in the yard, it doesn't seem like such sharp practice.

Pete

Badger

Visit site
Sharp Practice ?

Have you had similar experiences of this sort of sharp practice?.QUOTE]

I would count your blessings if I was you. The same job on the South Coast would cost you 209 Euros for the lift out and 110 Euros for the mast. In other words 319 Euros versus the 100 Euros you have been charged !!!

bigwow

Visit site
Good price compared to Liverpool!

Hoist vessel in/out of water. £15.68Mtr

Shoring up Vessel £4.95 Mtr

Stepping & un-stepping masts £69 30 each way

Minimum charge is based on 6.7M L.O.A

All Jobs must be paid for in advance of work being carried out

Watson47

Visit site
skodster .... welcome anyway ... :)

I like Howth and know a few of the people there & I am fairly certain that it was more of the 'misunderstanding' type than any 'sharp practice' & I hope some of the comments above will reassure you - especially on price ... !!! I am sure that many boaters from across the pond, especially those on the South coasts, would change the Thread title to VERY happy Camper .. :)

rogerstown

Visit site
Howth is a club rather than a business and service and price usually reflects this. Usually people useing their facilities are very happy it's a pity you had a bad experience Skodster. You should compare it to Malahide Marina, four miles away.

cid

Visit site
liftout atnhowth marina

I have lifted in and out there for the last 25yrs and keep my boat at home.In the water its kept on a mooring at malahide.I am well pleased with them.

skodster

Visit site
Howth is a club rather than a business and service and price usually reflects this. Usually people useing their facilities are very happy it's a pity you had a bad experience Skodster. You should compare it to Malahide Marina, four miles away.

In retrospect, I think that you're all right. I have done a bit of research and the prices are relatively good.

I was just a bit miffed that they didn't explain over the phone.

Howth Sailing Club....YAY! :D

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Malahide on the other hand do charge charge charge! I will not be using them again unless i have to. Howth seem very reasonable to me, and it's a nice club to boot!