How to stop engine

mriley

Visit site
I want to be able to stop the engines from the engine compartment (eg when winterising or flushing through). SOP so far has been to whip out the centre lead from the distributer cap, but this is a shocking experience I don't want to do anymore. I thought about installing the battery switches in the engine compartment (1/ALL/2/OFF) and using those to turn off the power but would worry about blowing diodes. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

MoodySabre

Visit site
So this is a petrol engine which makes it a bit easier than a diesel.

When you pull the distributor cap off you are playing with very high voltage. You need to stop it on the low voltage side. Pulling the thin lead off the coil will stop it sparking and stop the engine.

I remember that you could hot wire old cars from the battery to the coil and bypass the ignition - only for legit purposes of course /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I recall going to help a mate stranded in his Triumph Herald having lost the only key. I produced a bit of wire, pressed the solenoid and the car started - the look on his face /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The days before steering locks and relays and OMG I'm taking this to a garage. Sorry I digressed /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Eeyore

www.yachtrhumbdo.co.uk
As Smeaks and MoodySabre have already said - mount a simple toggle switch on the engine compartment bulkhead and run the low tension circuit from the coil through it.

In the days before car immobilsers and alarms, I used to 'hide' the switch under the drivers seat, switch off when leaving the car, then even with the key it would not start - deterred the opportunist thief!

shmoo

Visit site
Oops. Never really thought about petrol engines in boats.

Why is it bad to stop a diesel by lifting the exhaust valve lifter? I don't doubt what you say, its just that I aways had that at the back of my mind if the usual stop mechanism didn't work.

ski

Visit site
stop a diesel by shutting off the air supply ie a rag over the air inlet always works. I had a jammed fuel rack fully open in St Peters Port when a replacement heat exchanger was being fitted. The rag soon tamed 42hp as max revs were being reached. The 'expert' mechanic who was doing the work didnt seem to know that dodge.

oldharry

Visit site
Depends on the diesel: a rag or similar could be sucked into the engine and.... A few years back a taxi driver neighbour was stripping his diesel down after it sucked in a cleaning sponge he had been using to dry off the engine compartment. It was a pity he had removed the air cleaner to get at things! And a lot of boats have open air intakes without any cleaner element. Not something I would want to risk.