How to sell & price the best value boat/berth in the South of France?

chris66

xoomer.alice.it
At least I think she is, but I'm open to comments...!

Having spent a small fortune overhauling Aquarius and after many years of happy use I have to sell her. The long drive to the SofF, 2 little kids and a bit of seasickness just don't mix and we are not using her enough. Last time we were out, beautiful day, a trip down the coast towards the Cap D'Antibes, anchor up, nice lunch and then "Dad, can we go to the playground now ???" while the littl'un was emptying her stomach over my feet....

Anyway my bad fortune is someones good fortune and I gave her to a local friend (the guy who washes and looks after her when I'm not there) who also works with a broker and has agreed to show her to interested parties. He was sceptical about selling a UK flagged vessel to his mainly French clientele.

My question - how can I advertise her in the UK to help direct potential buyers to the broker (who has agreed on a reduced fee if I send someone to him) ? What are the best web sites, magazines to use ? Someone mentioned also using EBay to give exposure. Any comments? And finally is the price I've put on her reasonable ??

Many Thanks

Sneds

Visit site
Hi we found our new boat on e-bay and advertised our old one on there, with a link to the brokers web site.
The downside is you do get asked a lot of daft questions!
Boats and Outboards and Apolo Duck are both well viewed, good luck with your sale.
You could allways put a link on here, bit cheeky I know but... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jfm

Visit site
Ah, I have often walked passed her and though what a lovely boat. Had no idea belonged to a forumite. We're quite close by, on Mole Sud

The pricing looks very reasonable to me, esp as berth is avaialbe too. A couple of other thoughts:

1. UK flagging is non issue. If you sell to French person, you simply give them a bill of sale and a certificate of deletion from the UK registry, and then they apply to register it in france. Easy peasy, every broker should be 200% familiar with that becuase boats down there switch between Red /FR/Germany/Lux/Ital flags all the time as they are bought and sold

2. Sorry to be picky, but I suggest remove all colloquial English from your website text (remove "sorted" and "redone" and say "toilet" instead of "head") becuase these words wont work when French buyers cut and paste into on-line translators. And remove all typos like "expalin" for same reason. Or better still get a bi-lingual person to write it all in French and put both versions on your website

3. I notice you have been open about the berth blocked-sales issue. I guess you got that letter from the lawyer a couple of months ago. I have heard no more about it since then. Please compare notes on here if you hear any more. I'm down there this weekend so will ask again

4. In any case, it must make sense to keep the berth then you have it if children become boat addicts in 5 years time? (Fingers X-ed for you on that one!)

Good luck

chris66

xoomer.alice.it
Thanks for your suggestions (and the compliments /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif- glad to see you liked the work done on her !)

I haven't received the letter you mention but spoke to Brigitte and Carlo in the Capitainerie about the berth sale issue who informed me about the problems (all down the coast I remember) although they didn't have any idea on what would happen last time I spoke with them. If you have an update I'd be very curious.
The difficulty with the swap to a French flag , I been informed by the broker, is that the new French safety requirements (electrics etc) are much too stringent for an Italian vessel constructed (very well I am informed) 30 years ago.

Good to make contact, I loved your post (couple of years ago?) on your cruise down to Portofino and the 5 Terre if I remember correctly, a trip I have often made.

jfm

Visit site
Ah, I thought every berthholder got a letter from the lawyer who is arguing on behalf of berthholders with the townhall? I have it as pdf, can email it to you if you PM me an email address.

Yeah, you have a lovely boat there. Will be a shame to part with it.

Thanks for compliment re my Italian post - this one http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php?C...true#Post834989

I'm doing the same trip in late June this year. We have got a Bonifacio berth for a month and so I was going to make the delivery trip into a bit of a cruise - Antibes, Genoa, Portofino, Cinque Terra, La Spezia, Pisa maybe, Elba, Bonifacio. Should be fun! (I love Elba)

If I see your boat being inspected by hoards of would-be buyers this weekend I'll let you know :)