How to remove a bowthruster prop bolt?

Jokani

Visit site
Trying to remove the bolt that retains the prop & zinc on a Sidepower bowthruster, so far without success.

I am having difficulty stopping the shaft turning, and now the allen key head is starting to round.

Any advice on the best way to proceed?

TIA

Ammonite

Visit site
Yes, albeit with difficulty. I used a broom handle and some wedges to secure the props and a suitable extension bar on a ratchet to remove the allen socket. However, once removed I still couldn't remove the anodes which had expanded and were stuck fast and ended up cutting / splitting them. This then gives you access to the nylocs securing the actual props which came off easily. This was on a 75ti which is the forerunner to the SE80 It's a daft design but works OK if you remove / clean and/or replace the anodes on a regular basis. If you do round off the allen screw you can get extractors specifically designed for this.

Jokani

Visit site
Yes, albeit with difficulty. I used a broom handle and some wedges to secure the props and a suitable extension bar on a ratchet to remove the allen socket. However, once removed I still couldn't remove the anodes which had expanded and were stuck fast and ended up cutting / splitting them. This then gives you access to the nylocs securing the actual props which came off easily. This was on a 75ti which is the forerunner to the SE80 It's a daft design but works OK if you remove / clean and/or replace the anodes on a regular basis. If you do round off the allen screw you can get extractors specifically designed for this.

Thanks for the extra info, appreciated!"