how to match 220 vt to 110 boat?

rustybarge

Visit site
Not in the live = 110V, neutral = 0V relative to earth sense, because the transformer dictates that both live and neutral are at 55V to earh, I suppose you could divert the transformer's earth lead to the boat earth and accept the transformer casing at 55V, but this does not seem like a wholly sensible solution to me.

The easiest solution seems to be to just use the standard single phase electricity supply provided in most marinas, and use a simple step down transformer a la building site to give you 110v.

...if there is only 3 phase available, then split the phases; There are very few boats that are big enough to use 3phase ac units......

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The easiest solution seems to be to just use the standard single phase electricity supply provided in most marinas, and use a simple step down transformer a la building site to give you 110v.

But (bangs head slowly on desk) a "simple step down transformer a la building site" does NOT "give you 110v". It gives you 55V two-phase: ie two lives exactly out of phase with each other.

Marsupial

Visit site
But (bangs head slowly on desk) a "simple step down transformer a la building site" does NOT "give you 110v". It gives you 55V two-phase: ie two lives exactly out of phase with each other.

Jumbleduck, don't beat yourself up, let them get on with it, we know nothing, I tried to suggest that it was a bad idea from my own experience of having appliances burst into flames but no someone with less experience will always know more, its the way of the (boating) world.

abraxus

Visit site
Jumbleduck, don't beat yourself up, let them get on with it, we know nothing, I tried to suggest that it was a bad idea from my own experience of having appliances burst into flames but no someone with less experience will always know more, its the way of the (boating) world.
I am confused. I have a US boat that was supplied new in the UK. It has 110v calorifier, battery charger, fridge and cooker. In the bilge is a yellow lump/transformer, that takes the 240v shore power feed and supplies the 110v items. This was how the boat was supplied from new from the dealer, and has worked fine for 25 years (apart from the fridge, which is sensitive to the frequency difference).

Are you saying that this is wrong?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I am confused. I have a US boat that was supplied new in the UK. It has 110v calorifier, battery charger, fridge and cooker. In the bilge is a yellow lump/transformer, that takes the 240v shore power feed and supplies the 110v items. This was how the boat was supplied from new from the dealer, and has worked fine for 25 years (apart from the fridge, which is sensitive to the frequency difference).

Not necessarily. If it is a site transformer, you just have to be sure that it's OK either (a) for neutral to be a 55V AC supply or (b) for either the transformer or the boat not to be earthed. Might be OK. Might not. Worth thinking about.

Marsupial

Visit site

Just read my early post, IMHE it was impossible to determine which 50hz item would work and which will not, the mode of failure was often quite spectacular - that's all.

maxi77

Visit site

Rightly or wrongly this was the solution adopted by the US company that had owned a house in the UK which I bought. They managed to run washing machines etc an d had 110 wiring in all bedrooms. The place was still standing. There are some things which areeupset by the different frequency record turntables for one but I have never had a problem