How to get from Ireland to Greece (sailing) on a budget (Small)

DrBob

www.ronautica.co.uk
Paul,

If you want an easier option, think about laying up in northern spain as Jim B suggested. We spent 8 weeks in the Rias this year and it was really nice. There are many marinas that will have space in the winter and I think are cheaper than UK for the winter months. Villa Garcia in Ria de Arosa(?) was really good and is an easy trip from Santiago airport (all the towns on the rias are!) - which is a Ryanair flight from Speke. Cangas - just across from Vigo was another great marina - and cheap. Portosin - in Ria de Muros - was also really nice but a bit more isolated and probably more expensive.

Spend a winter (and an Easter) there - with some sailing round the Rias) then head south the following summer. Spend a few year getting to Greece.

We left the cold UK summers last May to head for Portugal and then into the med - aiming for somewhere warmer - and although we will probably get to Greece this summer, in hindsight - laying up in the Rias would have been an alternative option.

Think about how easy it is to fly out to "these" warm places. Santiago or Faro are very easy from Liverpool which means you can get out for long weekends.

A final thought. If you only have 6 weeks a year in the summer to go sailing - why aim for Greece as it will be high season. High season in the Rias is really nice weather with reasonable winds, very sheltered sailing and not that many boats around.

Dr Bob

Eeyore

www.yachtrhumbdo.co.uk
Some and some.......I would have to check my own website to get the figures!! A lot done with a following F7/8, other times with cruising chute up - only motored when wind died and SOG dropped below 4 knots - though we did get VERY low on fuel when, at the new owners insistence, we moved the boat from one port in Cyprus to another

Carrickman

Visit site
Instead of just doing a delivery style trip, I reckon you should hang on a little longer along the SW coast of Ireland at the start of this season- the weather MUST improve this year. Then when the weather suits hop to La Coruna or Camarinas (lovely little spot), do the Rias for this season and leave the boat just north of Porto in a very pleasant marina called Povoa de Varzim. Then you can use the boat for weekend visits to Porto. The Metro from Porto runs there in about 50 mins for just €1.50. Cost of eating out along this coastline is hard to beat, and you can use the boat well in Autumn before laying up. I've made the journey in the other direction, and its worth taking your time.

A

Anonymous

You've had some good input from people who have done this passage....have you considered the alternative of having the yacht transported overland? Since you are after the weather that might make some sense....OTOH if, like me, you wouldn't miss the passage for the world, that's another matter! Worth getting a price, tho', if budget is important to you.

hilaryjane

Visit site
We sailed our 32ft cutter from S. England to the Ionian over 2 years. One summer holiday we did a fabulous cruise down the W. coast of France and left the boat in the Bassin Flot in Bordeaux over winter. This was cheap, extremely interesting and we had a French liveaboard keeping an eye on our boat.
Next Easter holidays we went down the Canal du Midi and left the boat in a little yard in Agde. Then returned in July and cruised to Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily and then to the Ionian - all wonderful. We have kept the boat in Preveza ever since cruising the Ionian and Peloponese in the summer months. It costs less than at home as we rarely have to pay mooring fees when afloat and we would be hauled and launched where ever we were. Good luck with it. So much fun, an experience not to be missed.