How much to spend on your boat compared to your wealth?

What did you spend as a % of your wealth (identity not shown)

• Less than 2%

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • 2% to 5%

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • 5% to 10%

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • 10% to 20%

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Over 20%

Votes: 15 21.7%

• Total voters

Phildorset

Visit site
Money spent on boats and boating has been worth every penny.
Owning and running a boat has , more than any other thing, been my antidote to the stresses of work. The boat has therefore motivated me to keep working.
So by being my primary source of wellbeing the boat has, indirectly , helped me to earn money. Therefore not a cost at all but a benefit.

ditto...
describes my situation quite nicely too - my boat is an absolute pleasure, the costs are high at times, but that just helps me keep focus on the business and future... a virtuous circle perhaps.

Greg2

Visit site
Whilst I get that money is obviously important it isn’t everything. Boating has been at the core of our a family life, our kids grew up with it and we did stuff together at a time when their peers were preoccupied with other teenage pursuits. It provided the perfect antidote to my demanding and stressful professional life and it has shaped our son’s life as he went into the leisure marine industry and is now doing very well for himself. How do you put a price on stuff like this?

As has been said, life is for the living and boating is a major part of our lives so we are prepared to put a lot of our resources into. Not everything - we are mindful of remaining viable and being able to cope with unforeseen costs but to us a set percentage is meaningless - the only thing we ask ourselves is can we afford it, will it still be affordable when we pack up work and can we still do one or two other things. If the answer to all of these is ‘yes’ then it matters not whether it is 5% or 50% of our net worth (which in itself strikes me as being something of an artificial construct).

All IMHO of course :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted User YDKXO

Do you think anyone is telling the truth anyway! I can’t remember the last time I was honest about how much my boat costs. Everything is half price if anyone asks :):):)

I keep a record of all my boat costs on a spreadsheet. I once made the fatal mistake of leaving my computer open on the saloon table in my boat and my SWMBO happened to see it. That cost me a summer house in our garden at home. Loose talk costs wives

MapisM

Visit site
I once made the fatal mistake of leaving my computer open on the saloon table in my boat and my SWMBO happened to see it.
On the bright side, you obviously didn't leave also the Tinder webpage open.
Not sure that a garden house would have covered that... :p ;)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

On the bright side, you obviously didn't leave also the Tinder webpage open.
Not sure that a garden house would have covered that... :p ;)

She would have just laughed and called me a silly old man:D

Homer J

Visit site
Yes you could. If only we knew how long we were going to live exactly, we could match our boat buying man maths to the number of years we've got left;) Believe me if I knew for sure I was only going to last until this time next year I'd buy that SD92 and Ferrari 488 today;)

Actually my opinion is somewhat influenced by the situation regarding care for the elderly in the UK. For a start our state pension is far less than most other European countries and there is virtually no state funding for the care of the elderly in the UK so if youre going to live a relatively comfortable old age in this country, you better put some money away rather than spaff it away on a boat

An interesting point. The government can take your house to pay for nursing care but can they take your boat?

BruceK

Visit site
An interesting point. The government can take your house to pay for nursing care but can they take your boat?

Ask a FAO and the answer will be yes. If they are aware of it you're done. Have a look at the forms and vehicles are not mentioned but investments and "other not mentioned" is. So, I win, boat = disposable asset. Call it a Holiday home or alternate accommodation and you' Marina Queens are done for.

Portofino

Visit site
Retirement a few years ago now in my early 50 ,s has meant more time for leisure activities.
I have many , cars , winter sports , property and the Itama .
Each time consuming activity, think that’s a better name dove tails into the calendar . I can’t say there’s any super leverage reason with the boat like the work to play argument or “ you can’t take it (£) with you “ .
It’s just a nice adjunct to spending a great deal of time on the Med rim ....that’s all .Just another ball to juggle with .
I,d find another ball if the boat was dropped, such is life .eg buy more cars or property.

I,am a not put all your eggs in one basket kinda bloke and enjoy the chase more than the purchase side .

Financially lucky me my boats actually appreciated fwiw ? I have turned down two offers of significant more than I have in the boat , that’s cost + minor refurbs etc .The true cost to me ....all in since I have had it .

So if I came out today there would be no financial loss so to speak .
Even my Med berth arrangements work differently to most I rent my Cote d Azur berth for €17 K per annum yet only pay €8 K per annum in Italy .
Save on day to day running / living / transport to boot it all less in Italy .

Again it’s all thought out .

BruceK

Visit site
My fundamental disappointment ....

:disgust:

:D

Now why would you do that? Have my own protestations against fiscal delinquency not been adequate? Are we not all equally guilty or does this work in degrees of culpability, as in I only nicked a pound from the piggy bank vs your shilling so I'm a bigger thief than you? :D

Homer J

Visit site
Ask a FAO and the answer will be yes. If they are aware of it you're done. Have a look at the forms and vehicles are not mentioned but investments and "other not mentioned" is. So, I win, boat = disposable asset. Call it a Holiday home or alternate accommodation and you' Marina Queens are done for.

At least there won’t be much left for them. It’ll take ages to sell + marina costs + broker fees. At least you’ll get a bit of your tax payments back.

Homer J

Visit site
Retirement a few years ago now in my early 50 ,s has meant more time for leisure activities.
I have many , cars , winter sports , property and the Itama .
Each time consuming activity, think that’s a better name dove tails into the calendar . I can’t say there’s any super leverage reason with the boat like the work to play argument or “ you can’t take it (£) with you “ .
It’s just a nice adjunct to spending a great deal of time on the Med rim ....that’s all .Just another ball to juggle with .
I,d find another ball if the boat was dropped, such is life .eg buy more cars or property.

I,am a not put all your eggs in one basket kinda bloke and enjoy the chase more than the purchase side .

Financially lucky me my boats actually appreciated fwiw ? I have turned down two offers of significant more than I have in the boat , that’s cost + minor refurbs etc .The true cost to me ....all in since I have had it .

So if I came out today there would be no financial loss so to speak .
Even my Med berth arrangements work differently to most I rent my Cote d Azur berth for €17 K per annum yet only pay €8 K per annum in Italy .
Save on day to day running / living / transport to boot it all less in Italy .

Again it’s all thought out .

Staying apolotical but there are a number of politicians with their eyes on you. Good luck. (I’m only jealous)

Alexsoul

Visit site
I was always dreaming about my own boat. This dream led me into where I am now. Lets just say it eats almost everything right now, but I believe, it'll be easier and better soon.