How many hours is too much?

KevB

Visit site
I have a friend who has seen a 1987 Fairline Turbo 36 with twin Volvo 60c's 255bhp engines.
The boat is in excellent condition with full service history, he is tempted to buy it but has reservations regarding engine hours = 2000. Is this too many?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
No, not too may at all, Do the sums as if it was a car. Your looking at no time at all, and far better than stood for years doing nothing. If it's been serviced well, and most liklly will have been. theres no problem. The engines should be good for 300, 000 miles without touching. Try converting this back to miles at say 10 mph-20 mph-30 -40

Haydn

david_steward

Visit site
Re: No No No

I have an identical boat with 2300 hours. These are good strong engines that are not overstressed. 10,000 hours should be easily possible with good regular servicing. They also happen to be one of the cheapest engines to overhaul. Keypart sell a kit including pistons, liners, all gaskets etc for just over £1000.

If these engines were in a lorry at an average speed of 30mph they would have covered only 60k miles. Just about run in.

Keep the turbos and aftercoolers clean, change the oil/filters, fuel filters, anodes, air filters, crank case breather filters, check the gearbox oil, impellers and that is about all. Exhaust elbows have a habit of dropping off but usually at much lower hours and it is an easy fix.

If you have any questions about this boat or the engines then just ask. We have cruised to Channel Islands, Paris, Holland, Belgium, Normandy over the last two years in our Turbo 36.

They are fantastic sea boats. How much are you looking to pay?

Good Luck

Dave S

oldgit

Visit site
Curious fact emerging from my search for a boat.The bigger the boat the fewer hours.some of the boats I have looked at had done 3/4000 hrs(1980 ish) but the bigger but admittedly newer boats me chum was looking at all seem to boast 150 to 400 hours.Why buy if no gonna use.?????

tripleace

Visit site
This sounds like the old training boat that was in Chichester.

I look over it last year. I think with these hours it must be condition rather than hours. I thought it look very good for the hours it had done.

Thought: never hammered, just either training or crusing at sensible figures, regular use, always lots of people around so less thumps, ie single handed mornings etc.

Whilst hours high if it is this boat it will have been looked after.

oil checked every morning by trainees etc.

www.cleverdic.co.uk

D

Deleted User YDKXO

If you reckon on an average usage of 100hrs/season then this boat has had well above average use so I would expect it to be for sale below the market price. Whilst I would agree with other comments concerning the engine hours, there are many other components on the boat which may not last so well so general maintenance costs might be a bit higher
The T36 is a fab boat and now considered a classic; we owned one a few years back and still miss it now

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Disagree!!

If it has been used and well looked after then I would expect it to be in better condition than one with little use. Original post says regularly serviced which indicates a caring owner. i suspect that a good diesel engine would only just be run in with 2000 hours of use. Maybe it sounds a lot but really isn't unless that particular model has a problem, which according to dave S it hasn't.

G

H i Kev is this turbo 36 called White Robe at Hythe Marina, if it is then its very nice, travelled back with him from Cherbourg last summer, it used to be called Sea Mouse, some of the forum members may know it from mbm cruises including Kim, I looked over it myself out of interest, nice boat loads of kit.

Paul js.

KevB

Visit site
Paul,

Yes that is the boat. I think Pete ((my friend) and yes I do have some) has made an offer on the boat which has been accepted.

Pete has been viewing the posts and sends his thanks for the info.

Kevin.

miket

Visit site
Super family currently own White Robe, and any jobs required will have been done.

Name stems from their inability to get up/dressed in the morning!

Also knew previous owner. No problems there.

miket

Visit site
Not sure of the logic of converting hours to miles in the conventional way;
i.e 1000 hours at 20kts = 20,000 miles.

At average cruising revs (VP 255hp) 2200 is probably equivalent to a lorry doing 60 mph. So maybe calc' should be;
1000 hours at 60mph = 60,000 miles.

So the engines on this boat have done the equivalent of a truck doing 120,000 miles. Still quite low, but not that low.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Re: Disagree!!

My point was'nt so much about the engines but the rest of the boat. Things like water pumps/fridges/diesel heaters/nav instruments and anything else you care to name are all nearer the end of their usable lives on a well used boat irrespective of how well the boat is maintained
Its also a fact of life that its still easier to sell on a low hours boat rather than a high hours one however much we all pontificate about well used engines being better than sparingly used ones

adarcy

Visit site
Re: Hours and speed

Mike

whilst I agree 20mph "lorry equivalent" is probably too low, your 60mph is far too high.
Yes it does equate to a lorry speed of 60ish - yes governed at 56mph Sir- but you are only counting motorway cruising time. Engine hours for trucks tachographs and marine engines are for switch-on time. I.e. it includes warmup before untying, manoevring out of the marina, down the river or through the lock and the same when coming back not counting where you go - another river/marina or just round in a few circles to see if it safe to anchor.
On a trip from Hamble to the IOW which sounds typical for what I take to be a solent boat, we reckon that we are at cruising throttle/revs for only half the switch-on time. So I reckon a 30mph equivalence is about right.

Anthony