How Long will they survive?

LymingtonPugwash

Visit site
Came across this today on You Tube.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMMi1Q_smbQ

very entertaining with the chap woffling on and on in an inane manner! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I suppose that having his girlfriend alongside him and watching the various expressions on her face made it all the funnier.... particularly as she has hardley ever sailed before and they now expect to last out for one thousand days continuously at sea! Particularly as he hit a freighter on day 15....

So..... is it worth opening a forum book on how long they are going to last out? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

whipper_snapper

Visit site
But how come such a total pi11ock has such a cute girlfriend?

I mean, really, just look at the picture he chose to head his website, warra plonker.

branding_head.png

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
I think they'll do very well indeed - he seems a damn sight more experienced than most of the people here imho. OK, the picture on his website might suggest he's a bit full of himself, but, so what? If all the hype is true, then he's seems like a bloody good sailor and a great adventurer;
[ QUOTE ]
Reid has been challenging the seas with lengthy voyages since age 19, when he first sailed from Hawaii to New Zealand in 1971. It was during this time that he met and was influenced by France's Bernard Moitessier......

Returning from New Zealand, Reid built a 1400 pound catamaran and ventured for three years across the Atlantic Ocean and back, then up the Amazon River; all without benefit of radio, electronics, or motor. In 1976, brimming with knowledge and confidence, Reid began preparing for a challenging six-month voyage to the Antarctic. With the help of family and friends, he designed and built, in a year and a half, what he terms "the ultimate long distance, heavy weather sailboat," a 70-foot and 60-ton gaff-rigged schooner that he named Anne, in honor of his mother. For six months in 1986, Reid and a crew sailed her to Antarctica, "where few boats venture due to the extremely dangerous conditions.”

The Schooner Anne was designed by Reid Stowe. She is a low-maintenance vessel designed to be repaired at sea. Her hull is made of steel and fiber glass, with interior cabins finished in Caribbean hardwood that was salvaged after hurricane David.....

Since 1978 Captain Stowe has sailed Anne on hundreds of sea voyages including a 200 day expedition to Antarctica. At the age of 20 he sailed alone for a year as a rite of passage.

[/ QUOTE ] As for the freighter incident, he won't be the first sailor that's come to blows with another vessel. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone

weaver_fish

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But how come such a total pi11ock has such a cute girlfriend?

I mean, really, just look at the picture he chose to head his website, warra plonker.

[/ QUOTE ]

To paraphrase Mrs Merton

"So what was it exactly that attracted you to this millionaire adventurer?"

Cruiser2B

Visit site
Day 4 - stumbles into a live firing area
Day 15 - collision in good visibility
Found this gem of a quote: "If I'm ever on a near collision course, I always change direction. "
He may be experienced, but he isn't knowledgeable; I think he's been incredibly lucky to have survived his previous ventures. What a fid!

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
He really is a true American. Isn't he impressive? And if I send him a thousand dollars he will make me an Admiral..../forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

....and he was inspired by Meeting Bernard Moitessier who he says was the first to sail round the world single handed non stop. (Poor old Robin KJ will be a bit fed up to learn that he wasn't first after all despite getting the prize!)

The man has the presentation and literary style of reminiscent of that fine Scottish poet Willie McGonagall - a rare talent indeed.

I should imagine his memoirs of a 1000 days at sea, dodging (well nearly) big ships and taking down sails in storms will be gripping stuff.

I have made a note in my diary in a 1000 days time (1st March 2010) to have a look at his web site and see how well he has done.

Woodlouse

Visit site
The last part of that page is fantastic when taken out of context....

[ QUOTE ]
It was a raucous ride on the cockpit table. I gripped the edge so I wouldn't go sliding off in a hurry. I had just washed my hair, but I gladly allowed it to become salt encrusted yet again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ho hum... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif