How long should a trailing log be?

joe17

www.kolumbus.fi
Hi,

I have a wasp trailing log. The line is about 13 metres long, which seems excessive and make handling it difficult.

I assume the line should be long enough so that the spinner spins in undisturbed water. My boat is 5.5 metres long - should I shorten the line? If so, how long should it be?

Thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
if you shorten the line it will be more likely to jump out of the water and will be affected by wake turbulence. they make them like that for a reason, best leave well alone.

incidentally, do you find it refuses to rotate and tangles the string below 1.5 knots?

<hr width=100% size=1>

VicS

Visit site
I cant say what Wasp recommended but for a Walker its 30feet if the instrument is no more than 5 feet above the water and with a sinker fitted 18 inches ahead of the rotator. To handle the line you unhitch it from the indicator feed it round a stanchion or guard rail back into the water until you get to the rotator, bring that on board then retrieve the line with no twists.

Do a search for Walker on Scuttlebut and you'll find that on 19/04/03 I posted a whole chunk of the Walker instrution leaflet.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
the walker rotator is MUCH bigger and heavier than the wasp so won't jump out as easily.

of course height of mounting will make a difference. if less than about 3ft you could probably get away with less string.

<hr width=100% size=1>

SlowlyButSurely

Visit site
Our Wasp log has a line about 15 feet long and is mounted about 4 feet above the water. The spinner never jumps out of the water but it does stop spinning under 1.5 knots.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
Re: 15 feet sounds reasonable

The line for the Stowe (electric trailing log) is nearer to the Walker than the Wasp, about 30 feet sounds right (it's on the boat so I can't measure it for you), even though the impeller can only be a fraction of the weight. A smaller impeller has less drag and so sinks more easily though, so it is not as simple as it sounds.

<hr width=100% size=1>