How is future sailing in space going relate to existing sailing culture or not??

LuigiWriter

Visit site
Ship hull structures for space are so similar save tension to keep air pressure from blowing the hull outward instead of compression that keeps the pressure of water from collapsing the hull, that once space commerce begins space ship crew culture will become an extension of present submarine and surface crew culture.

Or will it? What do you think?

This is an invitation for both people in present space vehicle programs and members of ships crews to take a snapshot of what they do now and how they relate to that hull and the what and who it contains that they have pledged to get safely from Port A to Port B. To envision all the functions that presently are required on a daily basis to do that job, then project what each of you know about those functions into the future. How could they change? How would they have to change. What has to be improved? What problems need workable answers?

Two examples of keeping within possible extensions of present technology or why it is "Hard Science-Fiction" rather than "Science-Fiction Fantasy" First a bit of background.
As I wrote Kuiper Belted, set two hundred in the future I had to research and design a ship that could capture small planetoid for the purpose of bringing it to an Earth orbit for mining.

1. How do we maintain health and strength of the crew? Present space medicine research shows that exercise machines still cannot prevent significant bone mass loss. So I chose an available technology for mimicking gravity to be some sort of rotational section of a ship.

2. Safety from what you cannot dodge. I see no anti-graviton type of development that would be capable of repulsing objects on a collision course. The technology in cutting lasers continues and a possible weapon would be laser triads, only developing the heat necessary where they cross. Surprisingly, the new graphite material could form a multi-layered skin capable of bouncing small things in new directions.

There are so many other ship functions, and you may be aware of other options for the two examples above.

What do you do aboard ship now. How would that have to change to work in a weightless environment or in a rotating ship section. Loading and unloading.

What would creating and eating a meal be like? Bunking? The heads? Navigation?

Other threads that may be of interest