How great is the East Coast

Colvic Watson

Visit site
We've just bought a 'new' boat; a bit of a filler really whilst we have this baby and take 2 years off family cruising.

Anyway we got it from Andy Seedhouse in Woodbridge and it needs a berth; turns out Granary boatyard on the Deben have a pontoon berth (4 hours either side of HW with our draft) and the cost is £45 per month with leccy and water. So I ask Andy about getting the boat there "It's only across town so give James a tenner and he'll take the mast down and take the boat round for you". Then I ask Granary about putting it in the water "we'll crane it in for £20".

That's delivery and a launch for £30 from some really nice chaps and 6 months pontoon berth for £270 at a decent boatyard. Only on the East Coast.

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
We've just bought a 'new' boat; a bit of a filler really whilst we have this baby and take 2 years off family cruising.

Anyway we got it from Andy Seedhouse in Woodbridge and it needs a berth; turns out Granary boatyard on the Deben have a pontoon berth (4 hours either side of HW with our draft) and the cost is £45 per month with leccy and water. So I ask Andy about getting the boat there "It's only across town so give James a tenner and he'll take the mast down and take the boat round for you". Then I ask Granary about putting it in the water "we'll crane it in for £20".

That's delivery and a launch for £30 from some really nice chaps and 6 months pontoon berth for £270 at a decent boatyard. Only on the East Coast.

I love the River Deben. Hope you enjoy yourselves.

chinita

Visit site

Sssssshhhh!!!!!

Delete this thread!

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Which boat did you buy then?

Brigantia is still in Andy's yard pending the move down to Fambridge beginning of next month

Andy and James are great guys IMO, couldn't be more helpful

We thought about staying on the Deben for a year or two (it would certainly have been a lot cheaper!) but the tidal restrictions would have severely crimped our sailing time due to our work shift patterns - we really needed to be somewhere with virtually all tide access to the mooring

Colvic Watson

Visit site
"Haze" the Manta 19. A bit more than I should have paid (£1600) but inside it's a lot nicer :rolleyes:

Andy offered us a tidal mooring for £40 per month but when we found the pontoon with 9 hours out of twelve for £45 I couldn't believe it! Wandering Andy's yard is a favourite pastime of mine, very boaty not yachty.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Ah right, we had a quick look at "Haze" but the DLW declared her a bit too small (I was quite tempted myself!). Jane was most insistent that any boat we bought had to have a separate heads compartment which I must admit I thought might be a bit of a show stopper but then Brigantia (currently carrying her former name "Anne of Arne" until we get around to properly renaming her) turned up and ticked nearly all of both our boxes

Colvic Watson

Visit site
That has to be the smartest boat in Andy's yard, too big for me but I can see with you got the domestic pressure. What a price too!

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
That has to be the smartest boat in Andy's yard, too big for me but I can see with you got the domestic pressure. What a price too!

I am a wee bit chuffed I will admit :)

Mind you, I reckon Haze is a pretty good buy too - once you look past the faded hull she's a cracking little boat and should do you proud. I though she was a bit over-priced initially at nearly £2.5k but once the price dropped she was crying out for a buyer

I was very tempted by Haze and also by Teal (the Vivacity 19) as they offered the option of genuine trailer sailing including the prospect of making use of Grafham or Rutland (both just down the road from us) and of excursions further afield but to be honest I didn't take an awful lot of convincing to step up a bit in size .. in fact I felt right at home on Brigantia from the moment I climbed into the cockpit (which is the acid test when buying a boat, all the technical details are just so much fluff really - if it feels right, it is right)

Might be down there on Saturday - need to pick up the tender dinghy we bought off Andy and fetch it home on the roofrack (it's been too windy every time we've planned to do that so far - I don't fancy driving back up the A14 in our little Citroen with a dinghy on the roof in hald a gale!) and if the forecast holds good might try and get the first coat of antifoul on as it looks like it'll be dry and above 5 degrees for the first time in weeks. OTOH, doing the VHF SRC course on Sunday in Northampton so might not fancy two full days on the weekend given that I'm struggling to get through the week with a heavy cold. Have to wait and see

PetiteFleur

Visit site

Yes Granary is fine - we started off there years ago with a mud berth before moving to Felixstowe Ferry. Mel is an old friend - we first met years ago when he lived on an old steel Dutch Barge at Wolverstone and we lived on a cataraman. We usually try to visit him once a year but didn't manage it last year.