How far away is your boat?

jcwads

Visit site
Thanks for all the input so far, sounds like a boat comfortable for a night onboard will be a good idea.

1.5 hrs each way is fine for a day. It’s nothing in the grand scheme of things. I had my boat on the Hamble for a few years and did 1 hour each way happily as well as the wife. But, always much better to have a boat that you can stay on for the weekend.

Greg2

Visit site
Twenty minutes or so usually, which I like as popping down to do a job or just to check it is easy. Our latest boat is around 200 miles away and we have kept it there for a month to enjoy new cruising grounds. Glad we did and the commute is doable but not sure I would want to do it permanently.

Last edited:

Lisa&Paul

Visit site
Currently 2,500 miles plus 1 hour 20 mins drive to marina from our place in Cyprus . Soon to be more manageable when we can finally fly out of the YUK to retire :):)

oldgit

Visit site
Having a boat some distance away in the UK is quite common, we have club members who commute from around 100 miles away.
The thing to do is to make sure there are lots of interesting and varied places to cruise to in your choosen location, whatever the weather conditions or even better, the time of year.
Some locations will ensure that the weather will really put a crimp in the number of days you can actually use your boat.

Ian h

Visit site
51 miles away around 1 hour but it is down the M3 so when weather is good we go cross country 1.hour 20 or so.

AndieMac

Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the forum but been reading MBY for some years having always had an interest.

Lockdown boredom and ambitious financial planning has led me to the decision that I should bite the bullet and buy a boat in a year or so. Other than choosing the boat, I need to work out where to keep it. I'm moving to just south of Bristol shortly, but not really sure where I should start with where to keep the boat. I'm looking at boats around 8m so towing wouldn't be an option, so marina berths or dry stack will be the plan.

My first choice would be Torquay having had a lot of fun there on boats when I was younger, however it will be around a 1 hour 30 drive down there, whi
My questions then would be
a) How far away is your boat?
b) Do you find the time to go as much as you'd like because of travel time?

Thanks everyone.

It’s important to become fully consumed by the boating lifestyle, therefore justifying anytime travelling, both to and from, as well as time aboard ;-)
Our boat is three hours driving away from home, but we look at the location as a change of pace, or a holiday home, and the distance means little after a few months of travelling.
Don’t underestimate your partners role in this whole process, because if they don’t enjoy this as much as you, your boating future may not be as you might imagine. If managed correctly, that 8 metre starter boat could well end up a lot bigger and more time aboard!

[2068]

Visit site
A.) 120 metres
B.) No
:)

The main reason I don’t go boating as often as I would ideally want is - work, family commitments, and house maintenance things. If your partner is not into boating, you are stuffed before you have started.

Last edited:

vas

Visit site
0.4km, 5min walk give or take...
unless I'm too busy at work or doing things at home, I pay a visit almost daily. Used as in taken out of the mooring, only during the summer...

V.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Ashamed to say the least sailing I ever did whilst owning a boat was when we were living on one ? Just too much aggro to put everything away for a couple of hours then get everything out again...