How do you find moorings?

lowenna

Visit site
This might seem obvious to many but I hope to buy my first boat next year (a Heavenly Twin catamaran) and want to know how you go about finding a mooring.

Marinas are easy - I know they are in books such as the one with Reeds Almanac and they seem to have websites. But I would like a (drying?) mooring which would obviously be a lot cheaper. Who owns these sites and where do I find out who to contact?

<hr width=100% size=1>

moodycruiser

www.pctony.co.uk
Don'y know what part of the country you are in but I would suggest that you contact the local councils, harbour masters, and small craft cruising/sailing clubs for info. There may be reasonably priced pile moorings or mud berths available.
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>Tony

Birdseye

Visit site
clubs are the answer. not only do many clubs have access to moorings, but their members will know of other possibilities.

its the way it always used to work before we got the ncp style of marina boat storage.

<hr width=100% size=1>this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
I have to admire your choice of vessel.

YAY another multihull owner on the forum.

Just a little advice regarding your HT. If you chose a drying mooring check the bottom, if it is shingle or very hard sand your keels might take a hammering if you do not have keel shoes. Also the HT dries with her nose down slightly which can lead to a head rush at night if you sleep in the aft bunk in the conventional direction, i.e. heads toward the door.

Much better to aim for a mud berth as the keels sink and she sits upright, less wear and tear on the keels and much easier to move around the boat when dry.

Where abouts are you looking for a mooring?

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>
1.gif
</A>

lowenna

Visit site
More info. We hope to leave the UK in June/July of next year to sail to the Caribbean so the mooring would be a temporary one while we practise and prepare her. For access purposes, somewhere on the East coast would probably be best - East Anglia region?

<hr width=100% size=1>

markdj

www.stronge.org.uk
Best to visit the RYA website and look up your nearest yacht club. Give them a call and find out if you can berth there. If it's a temporary thing, they may have visitor's mooring's that you could use...

MarkDJ

<hr width=100% size=1>Princess Owners Club
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.princessownersclub.com>http://www.princessownersclub.com</A>

ChrisJ

Visit site
East Anglia is very big....
From Blakeney and Overy Staithe in the North to Burnham or the Roach in the South.

All (*) of the rivers and estuaries seem to have:
a) a marina
b) swinging moorings
c) drying moorings

* "All", except everyone is different!
- The Alde / Ore has no marina.
- The Broads are best left alone to inland sailors.

You can, for example, vary between a mooring at Wrabness (cheap, but not much access from the shore and no facilities), to Marina owned moorings at Levington.

<hr width=100% size=1>