How do I keep 12v supply to chartplotter during power drop?

SICOBRA2

Visit site
Having a problem with a brief drop in volts to my newly installed Raymarine ES127s when using the thrusters and think it is a voltage drop which just removes enough to make the upper helm plotter drop into off mode! The lower helm is not effected and I feel it’s the cable length/distance from the supply which is causing the issue. I am sure I read on here ages ago of someone having a similar issue and it was solved with some sort of inline box of tricks which held in reserve a supply long enough to maintain the volts needed during the brief reduction. Can anyone kindly point me in the direction of what I need? Thanks advance.

halcyon

Visit site
Having a problem with a brief drop in volts to my newly installed Raymarine ES127s when using the thrusters and think it is a voltage drop which just removes enough to make the upper helm plotter drop into off mode! The lower helm is not effected and I feel it’s the cable length/distance from the supply which is causing the issue. I am sure I read on here ages ago of someone having a similar issue and it was solved with some sort of inline box of tricks which held in reserve a supply long enough to maintain the volts needed during the brief reduction. Can anyone kindly point me in the direction of what I need? Thanks advance.

What is your battery layout ?

Sealine had the same problem when starting the engine on the service battery, resulting in low battery voltage and equipment drop out. We supplied them a little unit to power nav equipment from both engine battery banks, thus avoiding volt drop.

Brian

QBhoy

Visit site
I don’t and never have had a bow thruster, but I’m aware that some or most have a separate and dedicated battery for them perhaps ? This would stop it maybe ?

simonfraser

Visit site
Upper helm voltage issue, further away from the battery.
Cable not thick enough and it drops voltage vs gear closer to the battery.
Might just have a dud contact somewhere in the run, clean them up.
Or put a 12V battery by the helm, poor fix imo.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I don’t and never have had a bow thruster, but I’m aware that some or most have a separate and dedicated battery for them perhaps ? This would stop it maybe ?
You’re absolutely right. Most bowthrusters fitted from new would have a separate battery but it introduces another problem in that you have to charge it. This of course would be taken care of with a new installation

BruceK

Visit site
The world is your oyster in this regard. Just google for mini 12v UPS (or 24V if that's the case. )

Boat2016

Visit site
That’s down to poor installation and why it’s not good practice to run thruster off the same batteries as anything that could be affected by a surge, that includes electronic controlled engines. Separate batteries is best option.

peterjaw

Visit site
My factory-installed thruster has a separated battery, so I think it's better for you to think about this way.

If I were you, I would just replace current battery(ies) with bigger (much bigger) one(s). I know the bigger the battery the less voltage drop during heavy loading.

But, a separated battery is the best solution.

Last edited:

simonfraser

Visit site
if your other gear does not fall off line i suspect the feed to the one furthest away from your battery.
poor cable / connection to the instrument.
check the voltage at one that stays on line and one that crashes when you run the thruster.

Elessar

Visit site
What is your battery layout ?

Sealine had the same problem when starting the engine on the service battery, resulting in low battery voltage and equipment drop out. We supplied them a little unit to power nav equipment from both engine battery banks, thus avoiding volt drop.

Brian

Do you still supply this little unit or know where I can get one? (my sealine has this problem)

SICOBRA2

Visit site
Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas so far. We don’t have separate thruster batteries, we have a pair of 110’s for starting and the same for domestics, all were brand new mid last year. The switching off during initial thrusting was there with the old plotter so it’s not new, I was hoping it was an issue with the old plotter but seems not! It is just enough by about 1/4 of a volt switch off the plotter so very annoying but that’s boats for you!!!

halcyon

Visit site
Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas so far. We don’t have separate thruster batteries, we have a pair of 110’s for starting and the same for domestics, all were brand new mid last year. The switching off during initial thrusting was there with the old plotter so it’s not new, I was hoping it was an issue with the old plotter but seems not! It is just enough by about 1/4 of a volt switch off the plotter so very annoying but that’s boats for you!!!

Is the engine running when the thruster is operated ? What voltage is the service bank, assume 1/ 4 volt is from this ? what is engine volt ?

Brian

Momac

Visit site
I do not have any issues with instruments when using the bow thruster on my F33.
However the mfd re-starts if I start the starboard engine with the mfd already on. Therefore my routine is to start the engines before switching on the mfd.

Would adding a positive feed to the mfd from the port side ignition key switch in addition to the existing positive from the starboard domestic positive feed solve this issue? Or is that unsafe ?

SICOBRA2

Visit site
Thanks for the latest suggestions and questions, I will have to get back to those questions when I next visit the boat and I can take some readings, please bare with me and thanks again.

simonfraser

Visit site
Thanks for the latest suggestions and questions, I will have to get back to those questions when I next visit the boat and I can take some readings, please bare with me and thanks again.

i fixed the start up cycle in my hob with a new / bigger cable from the house batteries.
had a 1.2V drop at the hob during start up, now reduced to 0.4V on startup, sufficient even on a cold winters morning.

suppose i could have fitted a spare battery by the hob :)

halcyon

Visit site
I do not have any issues with instruments when using the bow thruster on my F33.
However the mfd re-starts if I start the starboard engine with the mfd already on. Therefore my routine is to start the engines before switching on the mfd.

Would adding a positive feed to the mfd from the port side ignition key switch in addition to the existing positive from the starboard domestic positive feed solve this issue? Or is that unsafe ?

You will already have a radar diode supply pack fitted at build, this maintains power supply from the highest voltage battery bank

More likely the one problem mdf unit is not connected to the supply module, if you click on link it will put data sheet up http://www.kddpowercentre.co.uk/spares_d/RDP.01.pdf

Brian

Momac

Visit site
You will already have a radar diode supply pack fitted at build, this maintains power supply from the highest voltage battery bank

More likely the one problem mdf unit is not connected to the supply module, if you click on link it will put data sheet up http://www.kddpowercentre.co.uk/spares_d/RDP.01.pdf

Brian

Thank you .
Do you know where would that supply module be on a F33?
The mfd is at the flybridge helm.