How can you afford berthing!?

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
I read about the English berthing fees in the latest YM issue.
Outrageous!
Had I´ve been living in southern England I simply couldn´t afford yachting!

I keep my 42 foot Moody in a fingerpontoon, including shorepower and drinking water right at the berth.
The marina is situated in central Stockholm and the annual fee equals £ 335....

There must be a few in England making a huge profit!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I scanned through the article last night and don't remember seeing anything about electrical charges. In Holland, all my electricity is free. I have had a 500 Watt heater running in my boat since October. As a UK visitor, electricity is charged at 2 pounds per day, although it may be less for berth holders. At that rate there's another 700 pounds per year to add.

My annual fee is about 1300 pounds for 35 ft, full facilities.

ParaHandy

Visit site
Aah...but?

Sweden has 20 people/sq km whereas UK has 238 people/sq km. Not enuff land, you see? Anyway, it must have been a "short news" month this month as this has been thrashed about every year. Rag's getting more like the Sun every month.

Did you know (bet you didn't) that you've got 97.8 blokes per 100 women whereas we're a bit short at 96 or, alternatively, we've more choice? How about swapping a few of yours (girls, that is) for ours?

iangrant

Visit site
In fact ---

the current Mrs G saw the cheque to MDL last weekend and muttered and grizzled as women do. With a lightening fast premeditated retort (atack is the best form of defence in these matters) "cheap for the other woman, costs less than you", reluctantly she had to agree!

;-)

Ian

DoctorD

Visit site
It is a problem. But supply and demand drive the prices and there are a lot of people who want to keep their boats in the most popular areas, such as the South Coast of England.

I have a marina berth in the Solent which is frighteningly expensive. But I can get to it easily with my family and we can sail locally or (relatively) easily to the Channel Islands, France (Normandy and Brittany), Cornwall, Ireland all very easily. And those are some of the advantages.

I know some people now keep their boats in France to save money, and I may do this in a few seasons myself.

Graham

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
Yes, of course...

...having ten times more people/sqm has to do with it. But still...

Anyway, I know a few, quite ugly and boring girls I could send you.
But, instead of having some pale blokes in return I would rather see a crate of a nice malt in exchange for each girl.
Deal!?

G

Re: Yes, of course...

Only if you take these blokes off our hands as a job lot...

"El manana es nuestro, companero..."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by The_Fruitbat on Wed Mar 27 14:38:16 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

ParaHandy

Visit site
Which malt?

Might take a few off your hands for a case or two of Laphroaig but need to know the, ahem, standards? Physical size important to ensure quality....

Another odd fact: cost of living in Sweden is 123 against UK 105 (index = 100 for New York). So what d'you spend your money on if it isn't on boats...?!

chippie

Visit site
Re: Which malt?

Are you saying that the UK is dearer than NY?
I Think I'll stick to sailing down here in the antipodes, there are plenty of uncrowded places to sail, but from what I've seen on these boards Uk sailors like to sail from pub to pub. Sounds alright to me. We mostly sail from deserted bay to deserted bay.(In other than peak holiday season).
Boating is still an expensive hobby/sport wherever one does it.

ParaHandy

Visit site

'Fraid so. But you lot are 100 on same index (ie cost of living same as NY) and there's two of you per sq km - no wonder the place is deserted!

Hope the sun's shining down there - fat chance it ain't, I s'pose?!

chippie

Visit site

Yep, sun shining, sw breeze 10 knots, 22degrees. My favourite time of year here , not searingly hot but pleasant more stable conditions. I had a day off on monday and had a pleasant sail on Doubtless Bay and caught plenty of fish. We were the only sail out there for most of the day.

Re cost of living: I find it hard to believe that we are the same as NY. Are the figures adjusted in relation to relative income?

chrisc

Visit site

Housing is incredibly expensive in sweden , My apartment in Gothenburg costs
50,000 pounds to buy 'the right to hire ' and then 650 pounds a month in rent for
ever . It is actually cheaper to buy a house -but then they tax you on the value of the
house.
Apartment in Uk cost , say, 700 pounds a month for twenty years ,and then it is yours.
big difference .
Take home pay in Sweden (after tax ) is much lower than equivalent in UK.

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
But when you say...

....you payed 50k for 'the right' to hire, I suppose you got something called 'bostadsratt'. In such case you actually own your flat and will be able to sell it for the market value when/if you move. Hopefully the market is up by then and you might see a nice profit!
Mine 'bostadsratt' 15 mins from Stockholm has increased it´s value from 600,000 SEK 1997 to 1.300.000 SEK 2001.
So I doubt you wasted your money!
But if you have payed approx 750.000 SEK and have a monthly rent near 10.000 SEK in Gothenburg, where the market is slightly cheaper than Stockholm you must have quite a big and new apartment!

Is the housing really more expensive in Sweden? I have heard of people moving to London paying incredible sums even in the outskirts of the city.

Trevethan

Visit site
Re: Yes, of course...

Far better Gunnar takes all the good looking guys to Sweden... leaves us pasty pale lugly so and so's a far better chance!

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
I´ve got one blonde....

...and one brunette. The blonde is not entirely natural but this can only bee seen if you look VERY close. Her size is good, almost two ladies for the prize of one!
The brunette has really great looks, good but manageable size, and do nice cooking and perfect bowlines. If you look very close at her in strong light you might notice she´s groving some beard, but again, at some distance or in a cabins dusk she looks really gorgeous!

Laphroaig will be fine!

chrisc

Visit site
Re: But when you say...

I would argue with you when you say I own the flat in sweden ,I have very
little control over policy relative to it and must keep paying enormous rent .
yes it goes up slightly in value over the years .
but compared with apartments in Uk ... last one I bought for 70,000pounds 5years ago
have just been offered 180,000 thousand. That is actually in Krona 850,000 5years ago
to 2700,000 now. Cost of keeping the flat in uk empty -about 1,500 pound a year. including
gardeners etc,.
anyway flat in Sweden is just sold ,
mooring place is rented out,
given job notice at mid may.
just have to sell two cars.......and do a lot of work on boat....

G

I'd recommend Caol Ila if you like an Islay (and I actually like Laphroaig...) It's one of the great civilities of modern life that you can buy it via the Internet if, like me, you don't live particularly near Scotland.

Better not post the web address, send me a PM if you want it.

"El manana es nuestro, companero..."