How Big would you tow

BruceK

Visit site
The maximum width for any trailer is 2.55m (8ft 3in), with the maximum body length being limited to 7m (23ft), when towed by a vehicle weighing up to 3,500kg

"
Width and length

The maximum trailer width for any towing vehicle is 2.55 metres.

The maximum length for a trailer towed by a vehicle weighing up to 3,500kg is 7 metres. This length does not include the A-frame.

"

Towing with a car

CLB

Visit site
The maximum width for any trailer is 2.55m (8ft 3in), with the maximum body length being limited to 7m (23ft), when towed by a vehicle weighing up to 3,500kg

"
Width and length

The maximum length for a trailer towed by a vehicle weighing up to 3,500kg is 7 metres. This length does not include the A-frame.

"

Towing with a car

You can overhang the width, allowing a boat of up 9ft6in beam to be towed. Length is not an issue as the Aframe does not count and a boat trailer is, in effect, a large A frame. With boats, it is always the weight that is the problem. Weight becomes the limiting factor before you get to silly lengths. Take your average 3500kg gross trailer weight of around 700kg away from the 3500kg and you are left with 2800kg of boat. Ignore brochure weights, as they are always much lower than reality, but as that is really all we have to go on I would say limit yourself to boats with a brochure weight of no more than about 2200kg.

I had a Bayliner with a brochure weight of 1950kg. I put it on a 3000kg trailer that weighed 650kg. With some fuel in the boats tank and my general kit onboard, fenders, ropes, anchor etc, it weighed 3200kg

Bajansailor

Visit site
Another question for aquapower, and slightly digressing - I presume that you have paid a subscription to Photobucket, otherwise your photos would be blurred?
Yet they are still watermarked, which seems a bit unfair.
Edit - I just cottoned on that aquapower's post was a few years ago.

BruceK

Visit site
You can overhang the width, allowing a boat of up 9ft6in beam to be towed. Length is not an issue as the Aframe does not count and a boat trailer is, in effect, a large A frame. With boats, it is always the weight that is the problem. Weight becomes the limiting factor before you get to silly lengths. Take your average 3500kg gross trailer weight of around 700kg away from the 3500kg and you are left with 2800kg of boat. Ignore brochure weights, as they are always much lower than reality, but as that is really all we have to go on I would say limit yourself to boats with a brochure weight of no more than about 2200kg.

I had a Bayliner with a brochure weight of 1950kg. I put it on a 3000kg trailer that weighed 650kg. With some fuel in the boats tank and my general kit onboard, fenders, ropes, anchor etc, it weighed 3200kg

Max Width overhang is 2.9m for vehicles with a GVW over 3500kg . There after it is calssed as abnormal load. I think you are pushing the whole A frame bit. You could then say that of just about any trailer. I think in the eyes of any official adjudication they would say the draw bar up to the winch pillar is excluded.
That leaves a trailer with a maximum length of 23 foot (body) You are allowed overhang of up to 3.05m. However few boat trailers support much more than 1m overhang simply because of weight distribution (nose weight) which you will need to observe. So although the law allows you a train length as long as 18.75m when you add all the bits up you end up being restricted to about 25 foot as said above

vette

Visit site

"
Width and length

"

Towing with a car
Sorry but you are incorrect,

vette

CliveF

Visit site
we have been towing our Karnic from Belgium to:
Croatia (x3)
Sof (x4)
Cornwall
Schotland

boat is 28ft, twin diesel
on "on paper" the total weight is 3500kg
I realise we are rather the exception than the rule,
towing car is Merc GL

P1090251.jpg

somebody knows where this pic is taken ?
I think it is taken at Dunstaffnage Marina just near Oban in Scotland.

QBhoy

Visit site
I honestly think that this depends on a few things (all being considered within the minefield that is the legal legislation on it all and within the max gross train weight allowed).
trailer to boat set up and balance
Ability to have a tow car heavier than the thing towed
And really quite a serious one...the road you tow it on.

I once towed my 23ft sealine on horrible roads in Scotland with a very capable discovery 3. It was the worst 2 hours of my life. In theory it was all within reason and limits. But was horrible.
but tow the same thing on the motor way. A pleasure and relaxing.

even more recently towing my chunky 18ft and trailer at about 2000-2200kgs gross. Wasn’t pleasant with a capable xc90. But perhaps more of interest was towing it with my 530d GT. a smaller car than the xc90 but much more powerful and much better brakes.
lots of variables.

QBhoy

Visit site
I’d rather tow my boat from Glasgow, straight down the motor way, M6 and further for 10 hours, than tow it 1 hour across the winding roads of Scotland from west to east. That’s the difference a road can make, in my opinion.

Assassin

Visit site
I own a restored Pacific truck which contrary to popular opinion is Canadian and not American and on occasions I help a heavy haul company out and this has 600 tonnes on the trailer so towing heavy weights and oversize loads isn't a problem, my biggest issues are other idiots who try to cut you up and assume you can stop as quickly as there 700Kg twatmobiles and stupid plod who think you can stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway when they have a maximum weight limit of 80 tonnes, many are much lower.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I own a restored Pacific truck which contrary to popular opinion is Canadian and not American and on occasions I help a heavy haul company out and this has 600 tonnes on the trailer so towing heavy weights and oversize loads isn't a problem, my biggest issues are other idiots who try to cut you up and assume you can stop as quickly as there 700Kg twatmobiles and stupid plod who think you can stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway when they have a maximum weight limit of 80 tonnes, many are much lower.

So everyone a Twat apart from you it would seem

Assassin

Visit site
Rather a nasty reply noplumbs, just because you are apparently lacking in experience of towing anything larger than that of a 4X4 you feel the need to criticise anyone with much more experience than you with offensive comments and uneducated opinions.
Have you any idea of the stopping distance of a truck weighing 600 tonnes and fitted with watercooled drum brakes all round?

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Rather a nasty reply noplumbs, just because you are apparently lacking in experience of towing anything larger than that of a 4X4 you feel the need to criticise anyone with much more experience than you with offensive comments and uneducated opinions.
Have you any idea of the stopping distance of a truck weighing 600 tonnes and fitted with watercooled drum brakes all round?

I am glad you are so much better than every one else.... Well done you

Assassin

Visit site
In fairness, this has nothing to do with the topic being discussed here.

Actually it does CLB, it shows there are always idiots towing and there are always idiots causing problems for towing vehicles and the size and weight seem irrelevant, but the idiots always are.

Weight and size appear to have no relevance as you always have to drive within a vehicles capabilities and often drive for those around you who think you can stop in the same distance as their vehicle, and when you are cut up and they reduce your braking distance to that less than your own then there is only going to be an accident which is often not your fault.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Actually it does CLB, it shows there are always idiots towing and there are always idiots causing problems for towing vehicles and the size and weight seem irrelevant, but the idiots always are.

Weight and size appear to have no relevance as you always have to drive within a vehicles capabilities and often drive for those around you who think you can stop in the same distance as their vehicle, and when you are cut up and they reduce your braking distance to that less than your own then there is only going to be an accident which is often not your fault.

Once again all idiots except you. I suspect you have often been in a room with 100 people and 99 of them are idiots

Assassin

Visit site
Name caling, is that all you have no plumbs, what a sad and pathetic individual you are, you cannot even wind anyone up with your stupidity.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Name caling, is that all you have no plumbs, what a sad and pathetic individual you are, you cannot even wind anyone up with your stupidity.
You sure about that. Oh and by the way we would need to know the speed you were going at