How Big would you tow

symondo

Visit site
heres my rig up.

firstly before i get called out on it, the trailer is not hitched up. the trailer has new axles to go on as in the photo 1 entire hub is missing. ive also got new wheels, tyres mud guards, hitch, brake cables etc... so still a lot to do before even attempting to tow it, but figured id reverse up for a photo.

i had to go and sit my trailer test in order to be allowed to tow something this size, but im still not looking forward to trying it out. luckily ive not too far to go, and it'll be a steady trip

13120347_10156900746270077_99890336_o.jpg

AndieMac

Visit site
heres my rig up.

firstly before i get called out on it, the trailer is not hitched up. the trailer has new axles to go on as in the photo 1 entire hub is missing. ive also got new wheels, tyres mud guards, hitch, brake cables etc... so still a lot to do before even attempting to tow it, but figured id reverse up for a photo.

i had to go and sit my trailer test in order to be allowed to tow something this size, but im still not looking forward to trying it out. luckily ive not too far to go, and it'll be a steady trip

View attachment 57360

I'm sure it's the camera angle and perhaps sitting extra low on the unfinished trailer, but it doesn't look big/high enough to be a 2655.
That series of Mitsubishi is a good tow vehicle, makes sure ALL tyres on both vehicle and trailer are pumped up to max pressure, 50 psi? during the tow, really stabilises the outfit. Take your time and pull over where you can safely to let following cars pass.

Jim@sea

Visit site
I bought a 24 ft boat and a trailer. When they make boat trailers they have a standard position along the chassis where they locate the two axles. my boat on the new trailer was rear end heavy and I was able to move both axles back by 6" to re-distribute the weight. and it towed better. The fact that the boatyard underestimated the weight of the boat they sold me did not help, and that the new trailer they sold me would not legally carry the boat as it was 400 kilos over the gross trailer weight. The main problem was that the tyres fitted on the trailer were only 4 ply car tyres with a gross weight each of 530 kilos (2120k )and the gross weight of the boat and trailer was 2500 kilo. This was in France, had I been in the UK where there are more trailer dealers I would have bought a 3500k kilo one.

rafiki_

Visit site
I towed a 25' Sunbird behind my Disco V8. No problem for the tow car, but it was a big rig, just under the legal limit of 3.5 tonnes. The trailer wasn't the best, and I don't think the brakes did a fat lot. The Disco was fantastic for launching as it didn't mind getting wet.

I think Bart is the towing King, with his Karnic rig.

symondo

Visit site
I towed a 25' Sunbird behind my Disco V8. No problem for the tow car, but it was a big rig, just under the legal limit of 3.5 tonnes. The trailer wasn't the best, and I don't think the brakes did a fat lot. The Disco was fantastic for launching as it didn't mind getting wet.

im guessing its slip specific, but with a longer boat, surely with a fair shove it should float off without getting the car in the water no?

BartW

www.amptec.be

I have to confess P, that after discovering the more luxury way of boating that I became a bit lazy, and the Karnic is only used 3 or 4 weekends per season,
but still a interesting way of boating (mostly diving in zeeland south Netherland, 140km from home)

last week one of my friends sat on the other end of the table, and he was explaining to another friend, about his memoreable trip to Schotland Oban with the Karnic ,(and a motorhome) diving and discoveri!ng the area and its speciality's, including all kind of single malts, ...
was one of his best hollyday's ever !!!
go figure, he was also on Blue Angel several times ! ;-)

Last edited:

BartW

www.amptec.be
Undisputed.......besides it doesn't matter which boat he is cruising in, he always seems to have a great time!

many years ago I promissed to post about some trailer issues but never got up to it C,
I have quite a few exiting story's about cracked traler frame,
2 x trailer wheel got off (almost)...
yes be sure that was scary! one day I'll dig out the pics and post them...
right now I"m sitting onboard BA on the dry for anual lift out,
zillions of small jobs to do...
tomorrow back in...
Not in Europe this year C ?

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
This is a few years ago now, but this is how it all started for me:

P1010026_zps5cpv9vu5.jpg

And this was my most recent attempt:

IMG-20130312-00204_zpspv5cxaic.jpg

Story here:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?352593-JTB-amp-MRC-go-trailer-boating!

vette

Visit site
We tow a Merry Fisher 695 with a 3.0 VW Touareg and it's not an issue at all.. I would think fully fuelled and loaded we would be at about 2800kg gross.. Towing is a breeze and the car handles it effortlessly.. Narrow lanes are the only nightmare when you are skimming the hedge on one side and lorries are coming at you like they are in a race for the finish.. :)

View attachment 57307View attachment 57308

Hi What year is your Touareg?
My wife has a 2012 V6 3.0 Litre Blue Motion, to which I plan to have a towbar fitted.
I have been looking at cruisers in the 28 foot range, so trailer and boat about 3000 to 3300kg

Did you feel the Touareg a good tow car, as I read many owners believe it is awesome ?

Vette

CLB

Visit site
My wife has a 2012 V6 3.0 Litre Blue Motion, to which I plan to have a towbar fitted.
I have been looking at cruisers in the 28 foot range, so trailer and boat about 3000 to 3300kg

Did you feel the Touareg a good tow car, as I read many owners believe it is awesome ?

Vette

Not sure you are going to get an equipped 28 footer on a trailer and still be under 3500kg. My 28 footer comes in at 5000kg without a trailer, although it does have twin engines. Realistically, 25 foot is roughly where you max out when it comes to trailing.

wipe_out

Visit site

Vette
I had a 2005 model.. It was an excellent tow vehicle.. Pulled our boat really easily and in low range on the slipway would idle up the slipway in second gear.. :)

I think at 28ft you will battle to stay legal.. You might be ok on weight with a single engine and all the tanks empty.. The width will be an issue though unless it's a long thin hull shape..

vette

Visit site
I had a 2005 model.. It was an excellent tow vehicle.. Pulled our boat really easily and in low range on the slipway would idle up the slipway in second gear.. :)

I think at 28ft you will battle to stay legal.. You might be ok on weight with a single engine and all the tanks empty.. The width will be an issue though unless it's a long thin hull shape..
Thanks.
Our Touareg is 265 bhp, and some thing like 560 Nm Tq.
I see what you mean about keeping to the width isn't easy

vette