How big a dinghy for solo launching?

westernman

www.devalk.nl
In the event that you buy something heavish, like the Wayfarer, for launch and recovery why not use about 10-12 metres of rope connecting the trailer to your tow-hitch. I have seen this done many times in Baltimore and other places in West Cork.
Reverse the car+trailer halfway down the slipway,lower your jockeywheel, unhitch then lower the trailer down the slope until the boat is in the water. Having secured the boat to the side of the slipway, drive the car+rope+trailer up onto horizontal ground, where the trailer can be re-hitched without too much effort. Recovery is the reverse of this procedure except that you have to reverse down the slope until the trailer o the end of the rope is immersed sufficiently to float the boat on . The beauty of this method is that your car's wheels and brakes do not get immersed, and you can keep it above the slippery coating of seaweed that is to be found on slipways in the early part of the season which has previously caused cars to slide into the sea, sometimes with tragic consequences.
Better to use an electric winch such as the one in post #8.

I would attach the winch itself to the trailer and the end of the wire to the tow hitch on the car (rather than the other way around) so you can better control the trailer and see what is happening.

dancrane

Visit site
Looking at it all in proportion, it's worth considering that almost any of us could nearly pull most dinghies up most slipways, singlehanded...

...so if we employ a bit of physics for assistance, it needn't be very powerful or very clever, or costly, to achieve what's required.

I haven't actually used my 5:1 tackle for hauling the Osprey up, but given that I can manage without it, I believe even my old mother could pull the Osprey up using the blocks and line...

...so does the O.P. really need an electric winch - or the towing ability of his car - to pull out a dinghy whose weight may turn out to be no more than numerous octagenarians cope with, every weekend of the summer? :)

DownWest

Visit site
This does seemed to have drifted away from what the OP wanted. More like a wish list for frustrated bigger boat sailers, with regret for not trying something sporty when younger.
Bloke is not competing and just needs a simple light dinghy to wander around his local waters. A few mentioned.

On Herons, local sailing friend was given one in ply, complete with Seagull 40+ . Oddly, never fitted for sailing. So he tidied it up , installed a centre board and built a rig, using Mirror sails off the web. All for his Grand Daughter (yer right!) who really likes it. It gets used with enthusiasm by several older peeps. Really nice little boat. And light..

westernman

www.devalk.nl
This does seemed to have drifted away from what the OP wanted. More like a wish list for frustrated bigger boat sailers, with regret for not trying something sporty when younger.
Bloke is not competing and just needs a simple light dinghy to wander around his local waters. A few mentioned.

On Herons, local sailing friend was given one in ply, complete with Seagull 40+ . Oddly, never fitted for sailing. So he tidied it up , installed a centre board and built a rig, using Mirror sails off the web. All for his Grand Daughter (yer right!) who really likes it. It gets used with enthusiasm by several older peeps. Really nice little boat. And light..
Sure.

But it is much more fun to talk about International 14s, foiling Moths etc, than Herons or Optimists.

DownWest

Visit site
True, but the OP might not be too interested... I did watch a young girl launch her foiling wind surf board recently. Bit awkward at first, due to the bit sticking out below, but quickly sorted and sped off. Came back about 20min later, big smile on face.

dancrane

Visit site
I guess it depends what type of fun is sought.

My club has foiling Moths, Musto Skiffs, RS700s, dozens of asymmetric cats, 49ers, even foiling F101 trimarans, as well as lots of older racing classes. I think I would be welcome to try any of them if I got chatting with the owners, who are a friendly lot...

...but I'm not very keen. I brought the Osprey for the same reason the O.P. gave - pottering and day-trips. As I recall, the main reason I didn't buy a Wayfarer was their unwavering high price at the time (over £1,000 for the poorest, oldest example).

Classes which are popularly used non-competitively, hold their value because no-one notices if they aren't as slick and quick as they were when new. Racing boats age more quickly (despite reputed exceptions), presumably because they're hard-driven in competition, until (I assume) their owners prefer to replace them, than labour to upgrade them to new standard.

Once a racing boat is, let's say, only 90% as fast as the regular winners in her fleet, only the fondest racing owner will persevere. His boat will most likely still be a nice, efficient, responsive sailing machine, but nowhere near race-ready anymore.

That's why my Osprey cost £350. New ones are £17,000. My boat isn't race-ready, nor am I; neither of us ever will be, because I do not care. She's tough, willing, well-balanced, well-bred, very pretty, and has room for all my barmy cruising modifications.

45222047815_d6d8fc8300_c.jpg

Those oars are 8ft long. She's BIG.

Critically, I have what I wanted, the equivalent of what the O.P. asked about. With a little work, old racers make great cruisers. In my greed for the biggest boat I could afford, I also found one of the great designs by one of the greatest designers. :D

Last edited:

alan_d

Visit site
Better to use an electric winch such as the one in post #8.

I would attach the winch itself to the trailer and the end of the wire to the tow hitch on the car (rather than the other way around) so you can better control the trailer and see what is happening.
Agreed. I started off with the winch attached to a fixed point (a tree) and the hook attached to the launching trolley, but when I tried it the other way round it was much easier to control the trolley and guide it away from obstacles. The only drawback was the need to have the 12 volt source (a jump start pack) in the boat rather than beside the tree.

NealB

Visit site
I guess it depends what type of fun is sought.

My club has foiling Moths, Musto Skiffs, RS700s, dozens of asymmetric cats, 49ers, even foiling F101 trimarans, as well as lots of older racing classes. I think I would be welcome to try any of them if I got chatting with the owners, who are a friendly lot...

...but I'm not very keen. I brought the Osprey for the same reason the O.P. gave - pottering and day-trips. As I recall, the main reason I didn't buy a Wayfarer was their unwavering high price at the time (over £1,000 for the poorest, oldest example).

Classes which are popularly used non-competitively, hold their value because no-one notices if they aren't as slick and quick as they were when new. Racing boats age more quickly (despite reputed exceptions), presumably because they're hard-driven in competition, until (I assume) their owners prefer to replace them, than labour to upgrade them to new standard.

Once a racing boat is, let's say, only 90% as fast as the regular winners in her fleet, only the fondest racing owner will persevere. His boat will most likely still be a nice, efficient, responsive sailing machine, but nowhere near race-ready anymore.

That's why my Osprey cost £350. New ones are £17,000. My boat isn't race-ready, nor am I; neither of us ever will be, because I do not care. She's tough, willing, well-balanced, well-bred, very pretty, and has room for all my barmy cruising modifications.

45222047815_d6d8fc8300_c.jpg

Those oars are 8ft long. She's BIG.

Critically, I have what I wanted, the equivalent of what the O.P. asked about. With a little work, old racers make great cruisers. In my greed for the biggest boat I could afford, I also found one of the great designs by one of the greatest designers. :D

Dan ..... I find your lyrical eloquence most entertaining (and dangerously persuasive!).

Thank you :love:

PS Yes, she's a real beauty.

Last edited:

Caraway

Visit site

Well you tried, but people want to talk about what they would like.
He could always build a punt like Dylan Winter did. Building your own little boat is great for the soul.

Look about for wood/epoxy dinghies like Fyne Boats or Selway Fisher kits. They are pretty, durable and very light. Usually sell for a lot less than the owners imagine they are worth.

Just 60 Kgs

FyneFour - Fyne Boat Kits

Last edited:

NealB

Visit site
Well you tried, but people want to talk about what they would like.
He could always build a punt like Dylan Winter did. Building your own little boat is great for the soul.

Look about for wood/epoxy dinghies like Fyne Boats kits. They are pretty, durable and very light. Usually sell for a lot less than the owners imagine they are worth.

About two and a half years ago, I bought the plans, and ply, and a Topper sail, for this:

Duo Dinghy - Fyne Boat Kits

I've not got round to building one yet (yes, of course: lots of totally credible reasons).

Feel free to pop round and help out, some time!

dancrane

Visit site
...most entertaining (and dangerously persuasive!)

You're very kind, thank you.

I ought to add that at the first twinge of back-trouble, I'll start a thread here asking "What's lighter than a Laser?" ;)

I will expect to be told I really need a heavier boat, like the one the person giving the advice has. ?

Last edited:

rwoofer

Visit site
The shape of the hull plays a roll.

The RS Aero is very flat shape, to as it heels, the centre of the pressure from the water moves. I.e. it has form stability. Which makes it a lot less tippy than for instance an Albacore which has a very round hull shape which has almost no form stability. This remains tippy despite a very heavy metal centre board.

I think you will find you are kept a lot less busy than you expect.
Having owned the Albacore and currently owning the Aero, the Aero is far, far less stable. Form stability is not just about hull shape, but width, length, centre of mass etc.