Hot Batteries

wilderness

Visit site
I have a three battery system (2 + 1) on my Sadler 32 which is powered by a Bukh 20. After motoring for about 3.5 hours last week I noticed that the batteries had become very hot. Can anyone suggest a reason for this?

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Sounds very much like overcharging. You need to run the engine and after about 10 minutes check the voltage output from the alternator. If the 2 + 1 system uses a blocking diode then check the terminal of the diode connected to the alternator for the +ve side and ground for the -ve and you should get no more than 14v or very little above, and 13v or there about on the other side of the diode, and that should drop away the longer the engine runs.

If the 2 + 1 system is done through a switch over relay you should get no more than 14v from the alternator.

These voltages would be upto 1volt higher if you are using an Adverc or similar battery charging system connected to the alternator.

You must now check the electrlyte level in all your batteries for when they get hot they bubble and whilst giving off gas, mainly hydrogen, they also lose electrolyte by evaporation. You'll need to top up with distilled or ionised water, but you need to find the problem with the charging system and if the voltage is too high the regulator pack on the rear of the alternator is most likely at fault. Get the make and model no of the alternator and get a new controller/didoe pack from a auto shop or take the whole alternator to an auto electrician for testing etc.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

david

Visit site
plus to what colvic has said, check each cell with a battery hydrometer <A target="_blank" HREF=http://uuhome.de/william.darden/hydrometer.htm> Click to see Hydrometer </A> If you have cooked your batteries you could easily have a cell or two damaged and not taking the charge, with a cell down the rest of the cells over charges, hence the heat.

<hr width=100% size=1>David<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by david on 06/07/2003 13:37 (server time).</FONT></P>