Hooked

martin

Visit site
Hey..just had a thought..am planning 3/4 weeks away on boat in July and will be unable to get daily fix of BB.. Will have mobile/laptop on board so can connect at 9600 but this will be blimmin slow... what is the best way of configuring user profile to send least data ? Do I have to down load the graphics at the top of each page ?

jfm

Visit site
I think you have to receive the ads. Apart from the obvious user settings I don't know if there's anything you can adjust, but I use it a fair bit at 9600 and find it works pretty well, I mean you aren't really hanging around for ages waiting for each page. Some of Matts' posts take a bit longer, naturally :)

JFM

G

For starters:

With Explorer, nearly the top line shows File Edit etc..

Choose Tools
then Internet options
then Advanced
then scroll down to Multimedia options and turn them all off.

...will speed it up a bit.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Hope you are not going to European waters as roaming charges with a mobile are V HIGH INDEED , even when dialing in to a local no it is still 60 p a min + vat, and that is via vodafone with the monthly supplement to supposedly lower the rate.

have fun!!

David psTake a look at www.yachtman.co.uk

G

Geez! Enjoy your holiday man! If you must logon then find an internet cafe ashore and get your fix there! I can't think of anything sadder than sitting on a boat dialling up thru your mobile, etc, etc - switch it off and open another bottle of wine or smooth another layer of suntan oil on the missus or just 'CHILL!'

martin

Visit site
Yup Sad

First step towards recovery is admitting you have a prob..

Yep using a computer on hols is sad ..:-( but tryin to fathom navigation with pen and paper is prob worse..

But readin this stuff is not exactly stressfull...not that different from sitin on the back n readin motor boat and yatching in the evenin once the kids are in bed...I promise I won't let it get out of hand...:) Please mister....please don't cut me off...... please ;-)

G

Re: Yup Sad

If you take your computer, watch where you leave it. My mate took his to his med charter hooked up to a handheld GPS which worked fine until he left it all afternoon under the windscreen - cooked laptop required new screen.

Leave it home - get as one with nature, look at the bikini clad birds (mirrored sunglasses are ideal for this), get back to paper maps, sorry charts, pencils, dividers (handy for stabbing those you fall out with), Breton plotters and eyeballs

Its easy, if your boat has radar, just stay away from the green bits.

Then in the evenings when you need your computer do something else - bite your nails for example.

Have a good holiday and don't forget the spares.

Nick